Tuesday, March 06, 2007

brittle blondes

Yesterday I was at the gym, happy to be working out and happy that Oona has settled into a routine with the babysitters there and no longer freaks out when I drop her off. She usually waves and gives me a breathy 'bye' before toddling off to the toys. So I'm pleasantly zoning out on the elliptical when I see something that makes my heart rate spike. A well to do woman, around my age, was working out with a trainer and all the while she's talking on her cell phone. The ubiquity of cell phones and lack of any etiquette when it comes to using them is particularly dismaying to me. I only joined the gym in January and haven't been a gym member for a few years so I guess times have changed, but I find it freaky to see people walking the treadmill and talking on their phone. What's next is someone going to set up a laptop on the recumbent bike? The thing that really irked me about this woman (who was very high maintenance - matching exercise suit, twiggy slim, with bleached, set hair that was 'casually' pulled back in a ponytail, dripping with diamonds and sipping at a coffee between reps - just so you get a vision of her in all her loveliness) was that it struck me as so incredibly rude to be with a trainer and spend all your time on a cell phone. The trainer didn't seem to mind, maybe he's used to it, but what could be so fucking important? She's not the president, she looked like a Fox Chapel (= money. Theresa Heinz & Kerry have a compound in Fox Chapel) stay at home Mom. I just think that if it would piss you off to have your doctor or pastor talk on the phone while your meeting with them, maybe you should treat people in service oriented industries (waitress, cashier, trainer, etc...) with a shred of respect and put your bleeping phone down. I promise I'll calm down on the venting posts real soon, maybe this March coming in like a lion thing I'm taking a bit too literally.

2 comments:

sew nancy said...

grrrrrr
this woman sounds a bit lonely, no?

jennypah said...

Sometimes I get annoyed when people have conversations while working out side by side ... it's just annoying and distracting to hear someone else's conversation when trying to work out intently and jam to your ipod. My gym has signs posted banning cell phones but they still chat away. ARGGGHHHH!