Tuesday, March 27, 2007

18 months

Oona's 1 1/2 today! I think this is the critical period where I can stop giving her age in months and just say she's 1 1/2 or almost 2 when she closes in on her birthday. Some of us Mom's can be downright pathological with the exact age of our children and you can always tell a non-parent by the fuzzy look you get when you've told them your baby is fifteen months old. To be honest sometimes I'd get confused and give the wrong amount of months to another Mom asking me Oona's age and I'd just get an odd, rather critical look in reply as I'm trying to count back to September out loud. Oh well.

Last night I was downloading podcasts from NPR and started looking into how to contribute an essay to 'this I believe' (right up your alley E). The thing is I have no clue what I believe in that I could write an effective essay about. Religion? I'm an optimistic agnostic. Moments when a belief was formed, tested or changed? I just think so much of what I think is, unfortunately, so inherently pessimistic. Are they really going to want a belief essay that's the written equivalent of a sigh? Name a core belief? Personal philosophies? All I see are tumbleweeds in my mind. I just draw such a huge blank on the whole thing. I believe that I'm a waffler, I said I'm agnostic so I guess that's a bit redundant. I believe our culture is too fast and vapid and I worry so so much about the future for my children. But I also believe I hear Oona crying so I better put an end to this post quick.

2 comments:

sew nancy said...

Happy 1 1/2 Oona...

Elise A. Miller said...

this i believe...sounds intriguing. thanks for the tip! happy 1.5 Oona!