Wednesday, January 16, 2008

sweet tooth

So I was checking online about the imminent teachers strike (which was averted, thank God, both sides came to an agreement after 20 hours of negotiating into the wee hours of Tuesday morning) but I found this link that indicates that the average American eats 3 pounds worth of sugar a week. That figure is frighteningly high, and I fear my sugar consumption might be double that figure with my addiction to all things chocolate. The daily guideline for sugar intake is between 30 to 70 grams, and I think I have that much sugar just in my coffee and I only put half a spoonful of sugar in my coffee but milk has 12 grams per eight ounce serving and I drink a lot of coffee. The other day I sucked down a Naked blue machine juice while on the elliptical and that has no added sugars, it's only fruit derived sugars, but two servings gave me over 70 grams of sugar, well over the daily limit. Do I really want to spend a day seeing just how much sugar I actually consume or should I bury my head in the sand on this one?

1 comment:

sew nancy said...

i say bury your head in the sand on this one.