Wednesday, January 23, 2008

the namesake

Jhumpa Lahiri has found a way to write about disconnection and bring it to an art form. She is such a good writer, so attentive to detail, social interaction and the powerful pull of family. I loved reading about the Ganguli family. Lahiri writes about the conflicts between immigrant parents and their first generation offspring in a very loving, emotionally nuanced way. Now I have to go rent the movie, especially since Kal Penn is in it and he's very cute. But then I feel like a sleazy old man since he's something like 9 years younger than me. But, then again, my husband is 4 1/2 years younger than me, although my kids insist he's the older one, probably because I can be very childish at times. Staying at home with two under 5 is a great way to hone my childishness.

1 comment:

kristi said...

i hadn't read the book, but my husband ordered the movie through netflix and we watched it the other night--i LOVED it. after watching "monsoon wedding" i am fond of indian movies, and this one doesn't disappoint. it's funny your comment about the cute lead guy--i hadn't even heard of him, but he is fantastic in the movie. and the mother's singing is amazing as well! (can you tell i loved it?)