Monday, January 07, 2008

can owen outrun an ostrich?

Probably not, ostriches clock in at close to 40 miles per hour, very impressive for a bird that can't fly. Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I start this daily picture endeavor for the blog my camera breaks. I'll have to see if it's worth repairing, the camera is a two year old, five mega pixel point and shoot, so something tells me it might be cheaper to buy a new one. We'll see. In the interim I'll leave you with a shot from our trip to the zoo yesterday. I was very bold taking Oona to the zoo in her leopard print coat, I heard some passerby making a disparaging remark about the coat choice as we were leaving. Really! like would that be seen as inciting the animals? All this stuff about how the guys at the San Francisco Zoo provoked the tiger to attack sounds pretty ridiculous to me, it's the lamest attempt at blaming the victim. Articles mention their roaring at the tiger as a way of provoking the attack. In that case no children should ever go on zoo field trips since I'm pretty sure most boys under ten roar at the big cats. The whole tiger mauling is a tragic event but reading about zoos trying to tame bad PR is icky to me. I know they have to handle their press and this is a crisis situation but these days it seems like everything you read has a spin on it. These days everything is a sound bite and it tastes saccharine and stale. In the immortal words of Dr. Phil, I want presidential candidates, zoos and major corporations to 'get real'.

No comments: