Monday, January 14, 2008

as if

As if things aren't chaotic enough around here now that Oona no longer naps. My apologies for not being in touch with any friends lately, I've been carving out a pathetically small amount of 'me time' by driving a couple blocks until Oona falls asleep and then sitting in the car with her for an hour. Such is my sad existence. I can't take her out of the car because she'll wake up. I can't talk or move or listen to the radio because she'll wake up, so I sit and read in the cold until it becomes unbearable and then run the car to heat things up enough that Oona and I won't get hypothermia sitting in the car. The upside of global warming is that the past week has been relatively mild for January in PIttsburgh. It's so sad. I'm loathe to admit that I do this but Oona needs her sleep and it's the only way she will catch 45 minutes to an hour nap. what's a Mom to do? But this sucky napping arrangement is nothing compared to huge imminent nightmare that the teachers in Pittsburgh's public schools will probably go on strike within the next few days. Ughhh! I fully support the teachers but the idea of entertaining both kids in these cold winter months when they can't cut loose in a park outside? Total nightmare. And the time spent striking will be tacked on to the end of the school year since the children by law have to be in school a certain number of days, and that is hard for them being in school when it's hot (there's no AC) and sunny and they'd probably rather be doing anything but learning in an old stuffy building. But I am very fortunate that I'm not a working parent who depends on their children being in school, what are they going to do for daycare? And a lot of the parents at Owen's school are poor so it's not like they've got disposable income to cover an extra week of daycare. Let's cross our fingers that both sides can come to an agreement and avert this strike.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim - Happy New Year! Love your blog. Just thought I'd try to make you feel better by letting you know I've been driving L around for 1 1/2 years - it's the ONLY way she'll nap - and as you know, I've obviously tried everything - people think I'm crazy but like you said if it gives me 45 minutes to myself - it's worth it. I'm finally to the point where I can sneak out of the car put the baby monitor in the car and go in the house and get something done. But I was at your spot for plenty of time - I'd go to the beach and just watch the waves with the car running - and try not to fall asleep myself because sometimes turning a page in a book was too loud for her - she'd wake up. And before that -I had to drive her around the WHOLE time cause she would wake when the car stopped. It was very expensive trying to get two 1 hour naps in a day - not to mention more annoying than a long commute to work and back. Anyway - I really feel for you - the things we do for our kids that they will never really appreciate... Hope you had a great holiday! Keri

sew nancy said...

Kim
I feel your pain.. it seems Little M has given up on naps as well. I've been getting 2 maybe 3 a week plus I am sick, tired, 35 weeks pregnant and don't know how I'm going to do 2 kids esp. if the 2 year old doesn't take a nap. The thing is he really needs it because he gets so tired and wild by the end of the day. Any advice? He won't sleep in the car during the day any and I can't drive around anyway as we park on the street.
HELP!

Amelia Plum said...

Hey Keri! I'm sorry you've experienced the car napping baby syndrome as well, but it's nice to know I'm not alone. Sounds like things were a lot more difficult if L was sensitive to the point where she'd wake when the car stopped, I think I'd get into an accident because I'm so bleary eyed by the point I'm driving Oona around looking in the rear view mirror, praying that she's nodding off to sleep. Glad to hear you enjoy reading my blog. And congratulations! Mrs. H wrote that you're expecting another girl, due in March - that's great news. L is so cute! Mrs. H sent a picture with them and her in a cute bikini with hat, as well. I can't believe how much hair she has! She might need to make a locks of love donation to Oona who has the misfortune to inherit my chicken fluff hair gene. Best wishes with the last couple months of your pregnancy.