Monday, September 24, 2007

message from the soapbox

I'm not a physics professor, oh how I wish that I were that would be super cool, or an accident reconstructionist but I agree 100% with everything this guy has written about cell phone use while driving. Please read it! If you talk on the phone while driving hopefully this article will be enough to make you strongly reconsider. I have enough distractions with two kids in the backseat, I can barely manage listening to the radio as well and I know I wouldn't be able to focus while driving and talking on a phone at the same time. Plus I have seen way to many people blow through stop signs (at Owen's school with kids trying to cross with a crossing guard!!!) and red lights while on a cell phone. I figure if people try to pass laws limiting cell phone use with teen drivers or school bus drivers they should just ban it for everyone, it's obviously a danger to everyone. And you people that say 'but I'm on a hands free phone' it's just as bad. Seriously, I could start a cell phone version of MADD I'm so against it. I hate even seeing it depicted on TV. Oh and when people get in cars and don't put on their seatbelt on TV, it drives me crazy. Fortunately Owen has picked up on my Bobby Brady-like hall monitor of the World ways and will say stuff like 'Mom, that man isn't wearing a helmet on his motorcylce' he's even admonished Toby for using a cell while driving, since I told him to yell at anyone who does that while he's in the car. Hey I'm not going to let anyone drive my kids around drunk and driving while talking on a cell phone is the equivalent to driving drunk. Don't believe me? Read the article, I beg you! And then send it off to other people who think it's no big deal to drive and talk on the phone at the same time. I'll be off my soapbox in my next post, I promise.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to post the article link.

Amelia Plum said...

if you hit 'cell phone use while driving' at the end of the first sentence that's the link.

sew nancy said...

I have not read the article yet. I have to agree with you though as I do detest cell phone use while driving. There are a few circumstances in which I am for it though like emergencies or one is terribly lost etc.

Elise A. Miller said...

i'm sold.