Thursday, September 06, 2007

first day of school

Oh my word, so much has happened the past week I haven't had a chance to catch my breath. Since I last wrote...
Wednesday night: Owen got a temp from his immunizations and later puked all over his sheets comforter and assorted stuffed animals that sleep on his bed. 3 loads of laundry later Owen was still alternately sleeping of crying about feeling so sick and his throat hurting
Thursday: A visit to the doctor has an amazing placebo effect and Owen starts seeming like his usual self again.
Friday: Owen's kindergarten readiness assessment, he does very well and his teacher seems quite impressed by him but not so much by Oona, who poops all over a chair and makes a trail of poop to the piano in the classroom. There was a huge turd the size of a large stone - I have no idea how that escaped her diaper and little panties let alone how she pooped and leaked as much as she did. His teacher was very nice about it and I whisked Oona away poop trailing down her leg while Toby cleaned up the scene and brought Owen and the rest of our stuff.
Saturday: We're at our niece's for her 2nd birthday party and one of the mom's there is trying to get Oona and her cousin, Maeve, to follow her ten second toy switch rule which she insists works for kids wanting the same toy. Give it to one child for ten seconds then hand it over to the other, back and forth til one tires of this. She does this with Maeve and Oona who both want the doodle pad, I'm biting my cheeks and bracing my head to keep from shaking it while both girls devolve into full blown temper tantrums but the mom insists that Maeve is getting it. Owen's complaining of a stiff neck and holding his neck and shoulder at a weird angle - is it a strain? sprain? meningitis from his shots? after an ennervating call with the triage nurse, a bath and some tylenol he seems much better.
Sunday: Spaghetti dinner with Toby's parents, his Grandma and my Grandma, who is quite forgetful and keeps flattering Toby's Mom by telling her she looks more like his sister than his mother.
Monday: A brief lull where we hang out at North Park with Toby's brother and family
Tuesday: Owen, Oona and I go to get Owen shoes for school. Me and every other mother with a child starting school seem to be at the shoe store.
Wednesday: One last hurrah of strawberry milk and chocolate croissants for Owen and Oona before school starts, really is it any wonder my kids are picky eaters.
Today: We get Owen to school. I plaster down his cowlick at the last minute with a baby wipe. It's total chaos in the auditorium where the children meet. None of us kindergarten parents have been told what happens. We bring the kids to there classroom and the teacher is explaining stuff but I hear none of it because Oona is flipping out, wanting to join in on the kindergarten fun.
So I go to the office to try and get a packet that will explain everything I haven't yet been told - how much is lunch? when does school end for them? where do I pick Owen up? I try to go to a parent meeting in the auditorium but Oona once again starts acting like she's possessed screaming at the top of her lungs and trying to bust out of the stroller. We leave and head over to visit my Grandma for an hour then come back and Oona goes to bed after lunch. It's so quiet and peaceful now but I've got all those fun chores that creep up on mom's before going to pick up Owen.

1 comment:

Elise A. Miller said...

great post, great pics. owen is so manly my head, she spins. and oona, oh that diva.