Monday, April 13, 2009

spring has sprung

I hope that everyone enjoyed their easter/passover/spring break. The kids enjoyed Easter, although Owen did pout and whine a little bit today when he asked if we could get the card game Uno and I didn't drop everything and run to a store to purchase it. My kids are spoiled, like why they should be expecting presents for Easter is beyond me, they think it's like a second Christmas. Any religion attached to the holiday has been lost with the consumerism, entirely my fault. I try to explain the religious reasons for the holidays but I don't think I do the best job. I tend to over explain and neglect to tone it down for the kids but then I've heard about some churches doing the passion with the easter bunny to get the point across for children which just seems wrong on so many levels.

Anyhoo, the kids had a good time and I was rewarded with belgian chocolate by a friend of Toby's who's visiting. I got two milk chocolate bars and two dark chocolate bars and as of 6:30 tonight they are gone. My God, my way of coping with stress is to dichotomize myself when it comes to eating, meaning I either eat very little extremely healthy stuff or batten down the hatches I'm like somone with prader willi syndrome. I don't mean to make fun of that syndrome it's just once I start eating it's like I can't stop. Having had an eating disorder before I know stress makes me revert to disordered eating habits. I just can't gain any more weight because I'm serious when I say that none of my new clothes (that I got for a song at the Gap) will fit the stressed binging (but not purging) me.

Like this last photo? I know you've heard about the ghost of Christmas past but probably not the ghost of Easter present? That's Oona who prefers to have her shirt of most of the time, when she's topless with her black leggings she's like a toddler Iggy Pop. She is the sybarite of the family, only the best for her. She loves pleasing her senses, all the time, with abandon. The girl is pure Id. I'm sort of in awe of her powers, believe the girl has power. All the boys in her pre-k talk about Oona and she's one of the younger kids and usually bosses them around - could she have a future as a dominatrix? I'm just amazed at her confidence. She's a very loving girl, Owen was sick last night from eating too much candy and she was like a tyke sized Florence Nightingale, but she won't sacrifice her needs for another's. Owen's more like me. I told a friend he's the daughter I always wanted, which sounds horrible, but whenever I thought of having a child I'd imagine a nice little girl who read a lot and was a people pleaser and that's my Owen. The poor kid is also burdened with an overwhelming superego. At least now I have a partner in whining, my Owen.

1 comment:

kristi said...

i agree about the easter basket thing: it is so hard to strike a balance. we don't do the "easter bunny" because we thought it would help us try to focus on the religious reasons for the holiday, but then i screw everything up by giving them a basket at all. now they are constantly getting into trouble and driving me crazy over the candy. and i honestly don't usually give them candy. so no wonder they are just foaming at the mouth, obsessing over it.

i'm with you on the binging too--if there is candy here, it's like i tell myself "well i have to eat it all NOW because i don't want to have it hanging around to tempt me."

oh the tangled web we weave... ;)