Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Deadly ambush in Stanton Heights claims the lives of 3 city police officers

What happened here in Pittsburgh on Saturday was dumbfounding to me. Stanton Heights is right next to Morningside, the neighborhood I live in. I drive past the street where these 3 police officers were killed every day on my way to pick up Oona from pre-k. I heard some ding dong at the care center where my Grandma lives say 'well you know that's inner city Pittsburgh for you.' but that statement is ridiculous! Stanton Heights has nice homes with well maintained lawns. Many police officers and firemen live in that neighborhood and Morningside. I had no idea what happened until I got to the gym and saw it on the news, although I was wondering why there were so many helicopters hovering on the hill up the street from me when I was getting into my car. Then I was listening to the news at the gym and one thing that pissed me off was an interview with the killer's best friend. The guy starts talking about how, like myself, my friend was against the zionist movement blah blah blah and I'm thinking, why aren't they cutting the camera from this guy? Maybe this is a huge generalization but whenever I hear 'against zionist movement' I tend to think white supremist and there's no need to televise this guy preaching his racist agenda when three men lost their lives.

This will seem like a stretch but I think about the girl who went postal on me in the car accident and this shooting and every day I see people who are so angry and it really saddens me. This is a very stressful, scary time for our country but all the anger, it winds up being misplaced and then people lash out at strangers. Before my car accident a woman, I use the term euphemisitically, shouted at me 'you fucking bitch' because I had the right of way and went straight thru an intersection while she needed to turn left. But it wasn't like I raced through when the light was yellow, that would be bitchy. The light was still green, she had to wait two seconds for me to pass and then she was able to turn. Meanwhile she has a three year old in the front seat, without a seat belt, let alone a car seat, and the child is standing on the seat looking out the back window. People get in cars and forget their manners. With my car accident my Mom thought I should have yelled right back at the lady but I'm like 'What would that solve? I'd just wind up feeling worse because I was as petty as she was.' and she's like 'you're right.' It's not worth it. My God, and on Marty Griffin (talk radio that me and every Pittsburgh senior citizen listen to) he was interviewing a gun shop owner who said since Obama took office it's been crazy the sales he's had, that people are stockpiling weapons and ammunition because they're scared about the administration clamping down on gun laws. What the fuck?! This paranoia, it's gonna be the downfall of us. I'm agnostic but even I know that it's best to love thy neighbor. Follow the golden rule, treat people the way you want to be treated. I'm incredibly shy but it's amazing what a difference it makes when you're kind, make small talk and smile.

1 comment:

BabelBabe said...

I am maintaining a "The less I know about the waste of humanity who did this, the better" stance. Because if I'd heard one more person say "He was a good kid,"I'd have shot someone myself. If I had a gun. Which I don't. Good kids do NOT shoot cops. EVER.

I am also with you on trying to make the world a little better place, just by being polite and civil.