Sunday, June 29, 2008

animal jamboree

This past week Owen went to animal jamboree camp at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve that's part of the audubon society of western pennsylvania. Owen had such a great time at camp this past week and Oona, as always, was quite envious of what Owen was doing and wanted to go to camp as well. The camp class was really small, only 8 children, which I think was nice and the setting is so serene and beautiful, it's hard to believe how different things can be 6 miles away from where I live. I'd almost drive off the road, which is quite curvy, ogling the land and houses on my way to bring Owen to camp every day. My favorite was a modest bungalow from the twenties that, after a quick search on allegheny county tax assessment, I learned sits on an acre and a half of property. That would be my dream home. I love cottages and bungalows and to have something like that on so much nicely wooded property, it was very hard to see the house from the street because the front yard has a lot of lovely trees and bushes, I drool just to think of it. So, yep, Owen went to camp and the only photos I have to mark the event are Oona hamming it up after we dropped him off on his last day. Um, if you're the mother of a daughter and shop at Target I think you probably own this cherry t-shirt.

I started Oona on potty training last week and she's adapting really well to it. No accidents today at all! I was bragging to Toby on the phone last night - he's in Vegas for 8 days on business, or so he tells me ;) that she hadn't had any accidents yesterday, but within the three minutes I was on the phone with him she peed on Owen's bedroom rug and then pooped on it. Today was much better. The only problem I find is taking her out if I need to run errands away from the house. I've been throwing a pull up on her then and she'll let me know when she's wet because she wants the pull up changed. This all seems rather miraculous to me, that the transition has been relatively trouble free so far. I'm not going to sweat her using a pull up when we're out, it can be slim pickings finding a clean public restroom and with girls it's hard than boys who can really pee anywhere, if need be. Last Saturday we went to a picnic and I had Oona in underwear, she said she had to pee but all that was available where port-a-potties, I gag just thinking about it. I tried to get her to squat behind a tree but she didn't want to do that so I can't really blame her when she let loose ten minutes later and soaked her shoes in pee. It was an hour past her naptime by then anyway so it was a conveinent excuse to leave.

does anyone know what these flowers are? they're so pretty looking I just loved them.

oona's target ensemble of cherry t-shirt, jean shorts and black heart sneakers, the clothes are so inexpensive it's hard to resist.

2 comments:

kristi said...

i'm not sure if it's really true that girls are easier to potty train than boys, but that was my experience. of course, gillian is the firstborn, so i could attribute it to that. but she was really a BREEZE. it seems like when girls make up their mind to do something, they just do it. have you seen that folding potty seat that you can put in your diaper bag and then just pop onto any old public seat but never have them touch the public one? it's AWESOME. i didn't use it with aedan, but i definitely did alot with gillian and it was so great.

those flowers are beautiful--i love how fuzzy they are. i would be the last person to tell you what they are though. :)

missed hearing from you!

sew nancy said...

great flowers- sorry no info.
potty training is taking a little time
#2 is the only issue we have going on.
yeah, m went outside for the first time.
we walked into a port a john and then quickly left
i wasn't going to go in there so why should he
i think i might look into kristi's suggestions because public restrooms are a bit intimidating
oh, and my friend kristen bought scarlet the cherries onesie. hers is mint green- so cute.
i too like target. i manage to find stuff for little m there too.