Monday, June 16, 2008

the adjustment period

Owen's last day of school was Wednesday and I've spent the past few days trying to adjust to the new routine, two kids home all the time. Why did I think it would be easier to toilet train Oona now, what was I thinking? Anyone with good toilet training advice is welcome to share. Our computer is up on the third floor, which lacks air conditioning, so I apologize for avoiding the inferno that is our guest room/office until it was overcast and the temperature dropped below 80. I buzzed Owen's hair on his second day of summer vacation, it's much easier to deal with the short hair and as Toby so accurately noted last night, he smells like a little puppy if you burrow your nose on his fuzzy head. This buzz cut went much more smoothly than the last time I buzzed his hair, last summer in the basement, which I think has left a permanent psychic scar that he might need therapy for. This time was so easy. I set him up with books to read, sweets and a mirror to watch everything. I also snipped his hair short before buzzing it so the clippers didn't snag on his hair that much. If only the next two months of summer can proceed that smoothly. Oona's still doing her two hour afternoon naps, a slice of heaven for me, so we have a nice routine of breakfast, morning park play, lunch, and then the nap. I wanted to join the local community pool but they don't open until 1:00 every day so it seems like a waste to me, I always think of swimming as a morning thing. Do other moms find themselves looking for activities between 8 and 10. I tried to go to the library on friday at nine and they didn't open until ten, having kids who get you up early I find myself wishing stores and stuff opened an hour earlier. And places that open at 11? Forget it, my day's half gone by then.

1 comment:

sew nancy said...

On TT I'm pretty much done with Little M. We started about a month ago or so. Still a few accidents but just go for it. I just put him in underwear and went for it.
He doesn't tell me so I just have to take him to the potty when I think it's time. He's been really good.
I hear you on the morning time. Our library opens at 10 too. Playgrounds are the only place in the morning before 10 to go. Oh, and our pool doesn't open until 12 on the weekdays- I'm thinking some lunches there and then a little swim time for nap but it's cutting it close. Luckily it stays open till 8 and opens at 10 on weekends.
Nice job on the haircut!