Wednesday, June 25, 2008

o's play-doh menagerie

My Mom came out to visit this past weekend. She went to see my Grandmother, who has had a rather miraculous physical recovery from her broken hip back in May. She walks around and is back to being relatively independent at the assisted living center - meaning she can get around, dress and use the bathroom by herself. Not bad for 93. The downside is that her dementia has gotten worse, she doesn't remember breaking her hip or any part of the hospital stay. She frequently forgets the word for walker or even to use her walker. I know this will sound horrible, but I can't help thinking the best thing that could happen to that assisted living center would be a flu outbreak. I hate to see how lost, lonely and anxious the residents appear and I question the quality of their lives when faced with such a brutal deterioration in cognitive functioning. But maybe that's just me, when I have a momentary brain fog - forget why I opened the freezer or misplace my keys, Oona's sippy cup, my phone, the list could go on... I start panicking that I might have mad cow. I'm no mensa but cognitive decline is one of the scariest things to me. Well, now to tie this into the pictures I posted. My Mom watched the kids while I did chores around the house unimpeded (miraculous!) and they just love Grandma Cat (their pet name for her, which was my pet name for my Dad's mom, why? because she had a cat, very deep I know) to death. Owen made the very cute bird, palm tree and blue monster while Oona threw play-doh on the floor and tried to sneak bites of the pink play-doh when no one was looking. Silly girl! Doesn't she know I'm always on the lookout for her getting into mischief, hence the reason I pass out at 10 lately.

1 comment:

sew nancy said...

i'm squinting to see your kitchen table here
i'm looking for one like that for our breakfast nook.
it looks like a farmhouse table.
ours need to be kind of small
w - no bigger then 32 and length under 42
we are considering one we saw in lambertville that's very rustic but the size works
we need to decide soon
any ideas where to go?