Sunday, June 10, 2007

crisis averted

My self inflicted torture in order to ease my driving/kid safety related anxiety was put on hold this weekend. In other words Toby and the kids stayed home. It wound up being a really enjoyable weekend. We went to Phipps Conservatory on Saturday and Oona & I had never been before. That place is amazing! I think I'll have to make regular trips over there this coming winter when it so cold and colorless outside. I felt healthier just strolling around inhaling the plant-healthy air. We had a cookout that night and then today we went to a couple open houses - I know this won't make sense to those of you on the East coast but out here it seems that the larger homes for your money are in the city, crazy huh? Let me tell you house hunting with a screaming 20 month old is priceless. Below are some pics from Phipps.

A very cool tree trunk, crazy leopard-like orchids and Owen in the butterfly room. If you enlarge the picture of Owen you will see his scar, the result of unsupervised play at a friend's house. I went against my better judgement and let him play in his friends room with some other children upstairs. Minutes later I heard him crying and ran up to find him bleeding. Apparently, he fell against a corner of the play table and took a chunk of skin out right above his eye. He is the most accident prone person I know, next to myself.

Oona saying 'fish' while pointing at the koi in a pond and these amazingly beautiful huge bowls from the Chihuly gardens and glass exhibit. Very pretty and very expensive. I kept thinking that I might trip and somehow knock one off the stand - this would be next to impossible and would require pretty severe projectile tripping on my part, but I think I'm capable of it. My God if tiny bowls he made were selling for five grand in the gift shop how much must these be worth?!

2 comments:

sew nancy said...

well it sounds like you had a pretty good weekend. we have started house-hunting too but working open houses around naptime is challenging. my weekend wasn't the best but let's hope for a better one next weekend.

Elise A. Miller said...

ooh they stayed home after all. do tell. glad your weekend rocked. how were the houses?