Tuesday, June 12, 2007

the children of men

I love books by PD James. She almost feels like an old friend to me, I've been reading her books since college. In a way I feel like she's a guilty pleasure that I indulge in because she writes mysteries. But her books can be quite literary, thoughtful and very English, so I guess I shouldn't feel all that guilty about reading them. I think most people that like her are probably 20 years older than me, watch PBS and Law & Order and listen to NPR on a regular basis - could be totally off base on this one but it's just a feeling I get about her fan base. This book is different than her 'Adam Dalgliesh' mysteries. I saw the movie first, usually a 'no no' but the movie and book are very different except for their dystopic view of a literally barren future. I enjoyed both the book and the movie, the book definitely goes into more detail and there are a lot of ethical questions raised which can be quite thought provoking. But I'm a fan of the movie too. It was directed by Alfonso Cuaron, who also directed 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban' which is one of the better Harry Potter films, and it's got Clive Owen in it, a ruggedly handsome manly man. Read the book or see the movie or do both, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

3 comments:

sew nancy said...

libarary called to say the miranda july is in for me. i just cracked on beauty so maybe we can discuss when i'm done with them

sew nancy said...

yes, i meant library. i was typing with Little M on my lap

Elise A. Miller said...

just saw children of men dvd. mmm, clive. good depresing fun, esp. the bonus featurette starring world history/philosophy/environment experts. care to relocate to iceland anyone? apocalyptic love and penguins...e