Tuesday, February 27, 2007

oona's oasis

So things are crazy here yet again. My client sent finished their photo shoots and I'm busy making all the clothes look nice for their website. So I figured now might be a good time to show off Oona's bedroom. It's so tiny (8' x 8') that it probably wouldn't officially qualify as a bedroom, but it's a perfect little nursery for her right now.

I got this dresser for $20 from one of my Mom's old neighbors when they were having a yard sale. The wood was shot so I painted it this color 'sea glass'. The color yellow in her room is perfect, it looks so nice and welcoming when the sun comes through the windows. At first I had Toby paint the room a pale green but it was too minty and cold looking, all I could think was mint chocolate chip ice cream, so he generously repainted it. To this day Toby's Mom will stay comment about how she liked the green color. She also likes to drop weighty hints about how she thinks I border would look nice in that room. Yep, that won't be happening any time soon. The cross stitch sample is the one Toby's Aunt Sharon made that I wrote about earlier. And I love the cute little mermaid print that I got off of etsy from this wonderful artist named Carla Sonheim. The rabbit book ends I'm already having anxiety about because they're really heavy and I can see Oona trying to climb the dresser to get the stuffies on the shelf and both rabbits sliding off the dresser and clocking her in the head - my mind exhausts me. There's also a little ceramic duck next to the books that I love. It was my Grandmother's or Great Grandmother's and it says personality duck in painted script on the bottom of the figurine. Personality plus that thing is so twee!

Yeah, the curtains are short but we already had them from Owen's old bedroom so in the immortal words of Tim Gunn I'm trying to 'make it work.' The rocker is from another Great Grandmother. My middle name Rose is after her, although everyone called her Mimi for some reason so who knows maybe that would have been a better middle name. The rocker has a stamp burned into it with the date 1857. If Antiques Roadshow ever stops in Pittsburgh I might have to check out the price on that thing.

The last two pictures show this painting that I loved (seriously, check out the website they have adorable stuff for children) and it matches the room really well. It needed to be placed real high so Oona can't get it, and the munchkin herself right before a nap. Now what made me think this would be quicker than doing one of my 'regular' posts?

5 comments:

sew nancy said...

I loved seeing Oona's room. You did a great job with it. Are the rocker and the crib family heirlooms? Both are very nice as is the dresser you painted and art. Your little girl is growing up. I wish her and Matty could play together. Maybe they could have a video 'chat' if I get a camera?? hehe

Elise A. Miller said...

love it. kimimi? hmmmimi.

Anonymous said...

Kimbo - Please e-mail me...I had computer issues and lost addresses and information....I'll tell you all about it...CRD

jennypah said...

I just LOVE Oona's crib!

Amelia Plum said...

The crib is a hand me down from my good friend Kristen. We were so poor when we had Owen, that was probably the nicest thing we had in his room at the time. Who am I kidding it's still probably the nices thing in Oona's room. One of those decorative diamond shaped rods up top is loose, I guess the glue dried up, and Oona likes to turn it (it makes a loud squeak) to let me know when she has woken up from her nap.