Friday, February 09, 2007

i hate my floors

We have hardwood floors on our first floor and in the hallway of the second floor. When we were first looking at houses all the realtors would push the amenity factor of having hardwood floors and since this was the first house we bought we visually glossed over a lot of things thinking the house was in move in condition. Well, once we moved in we realized that wasn't really the case. Fortunately Toby has proved himself to be an excellent Bob Villa. He replaced all our windows, put in a new front door with sidelights, has redone the third floor (installed heating) and the second floor bedrooms. Now all that's needed to be done is our bathroom, the kitchen and our floors. The floors kill me. They are my personal top pet peeve with this house since I seem to vacuum, sweep or mop them every day and they always look horrible. I'm at the point where I think they'd look best with peanut shells on them but I don't want to invite vermin into our house. Toby doesn't think it's worth the investment to refinish them. When I got quotes on refinishing the floors the person I trusted the most said we'd have to get whole new flooring in the dining room because the wood is so badly warped, but we could salvage some of the smooth planks to replace other damaged pieces in the other rooms that would be refinished. The dining room floor is particularly awful, Toby's brother got his sock stuck on an especially warped and cracking plank. The trustworthy floor refinisher said that if he sands the floor the pieces will pop right out, since they're tongue & groove oak planks and I think that strengthened Toby's belief that the floor isn't worth it. I'd love to spend the money on restoring them because they're a light oak that I think they would look so beautiful refinished, it would lighten up all the rooms, which would add to our home's appeal when it comes time to sell. Plus if we refinish the floors I won't have to spend anymore time bent over using the hose attachment of the vacuum to suck out all the crap that finds its way between the planks. But I can understand Toby's viewpoint, at this point I'm ready to tear the floors out and replace them with Pergo, sustainability be damned, anything in order to get a smooth, easily cleaned surface. Don't you feel for me with these floors? You haven't even seen the section where someone drilled a half dozen screws into the planks.

No comments: