Tuesday, February 13, 2007

our 3rd floor

We're in the middle of our first winter storm here, snow is falling thick and steady and Owen is home from school for the day. I think he'll probably have tomorrow off too if we get as much as they're predicting (5 - 8"), so it looks like it will be another week of cabin fever. Before we get started on our valetine cookies I thought I'd show off pictures of our third floor which is finally done. The third floor used to be an unheated art studio where the former owner made her lint sculptures ( a unique and sustainable medium, at least she's putting that stuff to use). That whole floor was a disaster, I wish I had taken pictures to document how bad it was but all I've got is photos of it now that it's done over. Toby put in new windows, installed heating, skim coated the old plaster walls (and one room was quite a challenge because there were purple, texture paint scrawls all over the place). He really outdid himself, yeah Toby!

This is Toby's study. He wanted an orange study, which he insisted we could share but I'd never be able to color correct photos in that room because the walls are too bright and he deserves his own space to tinker in. It turned out really nice although he was laughing at me this weekend because he could see the consternation I experienced when seeing how he set up the bookcases in his room. It's not the way I would have done things, but it's not my room. Hello my name is Kim. I'm a control freak and can admit I have a problem. There that was easy. I got him the two photos on the far bookcase for Christmas, I think they'll look great in the room.

Here is the guest bedroom. All that's missing is you! Come visit us in the Steel City, we're right near the zoo and they just got polar bears. This is also going to be my study where I'll do my computer work, the walls are neutral so I shouldn't have a problem with color correction in here. I also hope to set up an area for me to do my crafts and an area where Oona can play if I need to be up here working. We still have a bunch of junk that we need to get rid of but things are coming along.

The hallway up to the third floor. It's pretty plain vanilla but this isn't the house where we're going to spend the rest of our life. I hope that we can move to a different part of the city in a few years. Unfortunately, our neighborhood is rather insular (i.e. racist) and it sort of has a Larry Clark vibe to it, like if the kids from 'Kids' decided to move to Pittsburgh they would move to my neighborhood. I know, doesn't that make you just want to race right out to visit us?! Our neighborhood seems like it's on the fence, there are young couples with families are moving in and trying to improve the things, but then we have our trashy contingent moving in and, uh, blighting the neighborhood. Hopefully things will swing towards the positive, Toby's put so much work into the house and I'd hope we could make a modest profit for all he's done.

3 comments:

Elise A. Miller said...

i'll give you one BILLION DOLLARS for it! or maybe we'll throw some chains on the tires and crunch on out there. thanks for the invite. do you have turndown service? is that the right word? like with chocolates on the pillows? and speaking of chocolate, happy v day! xxxoo

Amelia Plum said...

turndown service with a chocoalte on the pillow, night nanny service and a complimentary four paws massage (courtesy frodo & sam).

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.