Thursday, January 04, 2007

the reluctant chef

If I ever decide to write a cookbook, the possibility of which is very slim, it will be called 'the reluctant chef'. I think it would be a helpful niche within the whole cookbook realm, for those, like me, who wander those aisles in the bookstore overwhelmed and hedging on just what book to choose or where to start. I like the sound of the reluctant chef because it has a whiff of Anne Tyler to it, whose books I've never read but really should since I think I would enjoy them. Add it to my ever growing list of books to read. I am a very reluctant chef and I am extraordinarily lucky to have a husband who actually enjoys cooking. I'm overwhelmed with the whole prospect of cooking and eating most times, which is why I like eating out where I can just pick off a menu, although I usually am disappointed in my choice and wind up liking Toby's meal better than mine - he's a much better menu chooser. But he's so different than me, he likes variety in cooking, loves to try eating something new. I am a creature of habit, one who will stick with ordering the same thing again and again because that's what I like and it's 'safe'. I'm so boring. I'm also one to get on food kicks, non-diet related, where I'll want to eat the same thing all the time (bagels, muffins, twizzlers, triscuits) - not a very good quirk to have as a mother. Poor Owen is already showing traces of my proclivities in the food department, eating more peanut butter and jelly sandwiches than would seem humanly possible. At least he's getting whole wheat bread and blackberry preserves instead of concord grape jelly. But I digress.

I think I would enjoy cooking much more if some kitchen fairy prepped for me; cutting everything that needs dicing or slicing, measuring all the spices and putting everything in it's own beautiful glass bowl, like they do on TV. I'm so enraptured by all those tiny little bowls...1/4 tsp cumin, 1/8 tsp black pepper. I find cutting food so mind numbingly dull and we don't have much counterspace so I do it all on a table that's 8 inches too low which does wonders for my damaged back.

But my new best friend in the kitchen is my crockpot. I've made roasts! Corned beef and cabbage! Anyone who knows how bare my kitchens were during my single days will be shocked by this news. But I love love love the crockpot. No worrying about coordinating the timing on everything, it all cooks together. My comfort crockpot recipe is one for Blond Chili that I found in a woderful book called 'Healthy Crockery Cookery' which would sounds like an oxymoron because I suspect that most crockpot meals are on the artery clogging side. This chili is so yummy with cannellini beans and jicama - which is an absolute bitch to julienne without a cuisinart. I hand julienned jicama twice before I finally unearthed the proper attachment for my cuisinart. And I do need to purchase a new peeler because I almost peeled off the tip off my finger with our dollar store peeler - you'll get quite a workout on your arms peeling a jicama. I've even been so bold as to modify the recipe and add some of my own flourishes to it (try and guess what they are) before you know it I'll be signing up for the CIA.

1 package breakfast chicken sausage links (the one by Al Fresco, I think they have sage in them, that won best taste by Health magazine are really good) sliced diagonally into 3/4" pieces
12 dried red tomato halves that I use scissors to cut up, they are impossible to cut well with our knives, which are most likely on the dull side
3 -4 shallots peeled and chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, peeled and diced
1 jicama (medium), peeled and julienned
1 (4 oz) can green chiles
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp died oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
plenty of grated smoked gouda as a topping for the chili

Combine all ingredients except the cheese in your crockpot. Cover and cook on low 4 1/2 to 5 hours or until tomatoes are tender. Et viola, dinner is ready. For my vegetarian friends you could easily substitute the chicken sausage with a veggie equivalent and the chicken broth with veggie broth. Happy Eating!

No comments: