Wednesday, January 31, 2007

foot fetish

I thought I should explain why I haven't been able to put up a post in a while. In addition to staying at home with the lovely Oona and Owen, I also freelance from home every month or so, doing photo retouching for a certain prestigious golf course on the west coast. The images below are something I worked on last summer but I've obscured the logo so I don't get in trouble or, heaven forbid, lose my freelance gig for showing what I do. I was so fortunate in getting this job from a wonderful friend that I used to work with when I freelanced at Martha Stewart. She had been doing this side work for another former Martha employee but had to give it up when her full time job demanded more time. I so love this job! It is absolutely perfect for a stay at home Mom. The person I deal with is great and I like working on the images, which are challenging but fun. Oh, and their clothes are really nice - I received a couple boxes worth of cashmere sweater samples over the summer (so I could accurately match the color) that I didn't want to send back, they were so soft, nothing beats cashmere, and the colors were beautiful. The only thing that could make the job more perfect would be if they offered to fly me out there for a business meeting because it's an amazing part of the country. However, the past few days I've been a bit nervous because I received a huge shot list and the images need to be done by March 1st. A month, no problem right? Well when I started figuring in the time it usually takes me to do an image (approximately 45 minutes to an hour) and the amount of web images to be done I was sure I miscalculated but, alas, no. So it looks like I'll be pulling 60 hour work weeks for the month of February, all while still wearing the Mom hat. This means one very tired Mom who will be making crappy, quick meals and who will desperately need a back massage by month's end. I'm already prepared for one of my eyelids to start twitching uncontrollably by Valentine's day since that's usually what happens when I retouch photos during an intensive 'bender'. I'm exposing you all to the ugly, underbelly of the retouching biz. But I will get one very nice check after this massive order. And I will be sure to put up posts in February too. I'll need to take breathers from the work and that will be a nice rest.

3 comments:

Elise A. Miller said...

i'm getting a foot fetish just looking at your superlative handiwork. rrrrrrrr........

sew nancy said...

that is great that you can still freelance. i haven't done any yet. i can't believe with 2 kids you are going pull that off. now you have me thinking about the days when we got pedicures together.

jennypah said...

wow, what great retouching work! oh how i would love to sit around in a robe and fuzzy slippers while waiting for my pedicure to dry ...