Wednesday, October 14, 2009

sibling rivalry

Being an only child I really feel ill equipped to deal with some of the routine struggles that occur daily with children. The constant fights and jockeying for my attention, then the tears when I show I don't love them as much as the other. I don't know how to handle it, brush it off? ignore it? I usually wind up explaining, to Owen, that he should be nicer to Oona because she basically worships him and will do pretty much anything he wants to do, she's like the ultimate playmate for him. But he frequently can't be bothered to play with the likes of her, especially in my presence, or God forbid, if I ask him to try and get along with her. Are most first borns the hothouse flower of the family? I'm sure I'm to blame having fussed over him too much, pruned him into this high maintenance despot who whines his every command. But Oona is like those weedy flowers that break concrete. Owen can tease, taunt, pick, and hit but if Oona wants she can easily overthrow him.

No comments: