Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I can't read this book and I was so looking forward to it coming out. Lorrie Moore hasn't written a book in eleven years, my hopes were unbelievably high, but I just can't do it. I'm on page 50 and it feels forced to me. I want to like it, really I do, but my head and heart just aren't caught up in the story. I feel like I've let Lorrie Moore down or she's let me down, are we breaking up as a reading couple or just going through some tough times. I'm having trouble reading much of anything lately. I am way too scattered. I just can't focus enough for it. The home renovations, my Grandma, my separation, the economy, my finances . I just try to stay busy until I go to sleep and then I wake up and do it all again. I miss books. Michael Chabon has a new collection of essays out that I'm dying to read, if my mind was on 'reader' mode. I start worrying about lead paint exposure or maybe I have ADD, but I think it's something much more pedestrian, stress.

2 comments:

BabelBabe said...

try something fluffy. some good vampire lit never went amiss (Sookie Stackhouse anyone?) or some nice soothing comfort reading like Rosamunde Pilcher's big fat story novels, or some nice Christie mysteries.

sew nancy said...

I will admit something here.
I have not read a whole book since Scarlet was born.
Only poetry and children's stories.
I hear you on the stress. We are at 4 1/2 months that Mick has been unemployed. Yup, pretty crazy.

Keeping busy works for me.