Monday, February 23, 2009

valentine's date

So Owen had his first official valentine's day date, well, officially it was the day after valentine's, but still he's only six. And, my goodness, I know he's my son but how could you turn down a date who looks so earnest? So he brought the red chocolate rose and a pokemon valentine's card and he received a lovely hand drawn card, illustrated with a picture of the young couple from his date. She kissed Owen three times before the date, he didn't protest, just stood there with this dazed smile on his face. Me and the other Mom chaperoned the kids to an afternoon viewing of Hotel for Dogs. Can I just rant here that I wound up spending $14 for a kid's snack pack, small soda ($4.25?!) and pack of Twizzlers. I'm going to become one of those people my children are embarrassed by, bringing my own snacks to movies. I actually brought a sandwich from Panera into a movie once with Owen and he was convinced I was breaking the law and would be arrested and I had to reason with him that I didn't think that would happen. Maybe I'd be told to throw away my turkey bravo, at most kicked out of the movie, but I don't think they can arrest me for that. They talked before the film but as soon as the movie came up they basically ignored each other they were so engrossed in the movie. The other mom nudged me at one point and I noticed that Owen's date teared up during an especially emotional scene. I looked over at Owen to see if he was crying and he had his head buried in his popcorn bag - food trumps tears I guess. I just thinks they're so cute together, it's all so innocent. Owen will talk about marrying Alex or having children and being a good Dad, in a weird way it's like a scene in The Office when Michael Scott is a child and talks about wanting a family with lots of kids because they would have to love him.
This one photo of Owen and Alex cracks me up. Owen looks like his chest is puffed up and Alex has a toy saw in her hand, ahh romance. She's a very sweet girl and look how pink her lips and cheeks are naturally. Oh, Owen is such a lovable goofball. I look at him now and already my claws start to come out thinking about the future and when a girl hurt his feelings. But I can't be a toxic in-law, it's just that he's so darn sensitive and nice.

1 comment:

Elise A. Miller said...

this is so freaking cute. I don't know what else to say.