Monday, February 02, 2009

hello february

The month is shaping up to be quite a good one for western pa, what with all the exposure, the Steelers winning the Super Bowl and today Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow so there will be 6 more weeks of winter (no huge surprise there, it's more like ten weeks in this part of the country). I am not a big sports follower but did watch the game last night and it was quite nerve wracking. Owen and I were hugging each other during the real tense parts, we're very similar in being nervous, emotive TV watchers. Whew, at one point, right before the Cardinals scored in the 4th quarter I mentioned to Toby feeling bad for Warner since it was most likely his last Super Bowl game and I tend to be a lover of underdogs, like my son. But Toby's like 'Don't say that! If anyone in this city finds out our house will be burnt down.' Then they scored and we both looked at each other thinking how awful it would be in this city if the Steelers lost and I am one of those silly people who winds up worrying that I might have jinxed the team by watching the game or saying something negative, I know it's illogical but those guilty feelings prey upon the best of us neurotic people. Neither Toby or I is into watching sports but he's right about the Steeler pride in Pittsburgh and how bleak things would be here had they lost. It was a great game to watch and it was pretty funny that I was trying to explain what was going on with all the flags to my son. I was a cheerleader in high school and never really followed the football games, I always liked the soccer boys better (and we cheered for them too). Boy, those refs have they're work cut out for them. And I have to say I was bowled over by Harrison's 100 yard touchdown but very disappointed when I saw him punch a Cardinal (he did get penalized with unnecessary roughness) that was not very sportsmanlike at all. Yeah, so I'm sort of like Miss Manners watching the Super Bowl, and I don't want anyone to get hurt. If I got hit by any of those players I'd be a pile of broken bones on the field. Thank God Owen does karate and not football.

No comments: