Thursday, January 22, 2009

new banner for winter

Yeah, February will be here before you know it so I thought I'd stick up a new banner, most likely filler until I shoot something better. Been trying out my new camera (a fuji finepix with 12 megapixels and 5x zoom) I haven't actually printed out pictures yet so I can't tell if the detail is as remarkable as it's supposed to be but here are a few things I've shot with it so far.

Snowy stairs picture I took today, I should have worn boots.

Last night's sunset from the place where I go grocery shopping and to the gym every day.

very cool interactive art display at the carnegie museum of art.

Close up of the ribbon wall. you can take a ribbon if it speaks to you and tie it to your wrist (three times) while making a wish. Then you leave a wish behind and when the ribbon breaks off the wish comes true. Some very deep wishes up there - 'I wish to have the strength to divorce my husband', 'I wish it was benign', 'I wish I could tell my parents I'm gay'. Owen took 'I wish guns didn't exist' Oona took 'I wish there were no more thunderstorms' and I took 'I wish my life came with a soundtrack'. Of course I think of all these witty wishes once we left but what I wrote was I wish I didn't worry so much, like that will ever happen, I think it's hardwired in me. I think part of the reason my grandma won't die is that she's too nervous and doesn't think 'letting go' would be the proper thing to do, almost 94 and she still can't give herself a break. And here's my worry nature on full display, with these ribbons tied to a child's wrist, they quickly become nasty ass bacteria magnets, I constantly find Owen chewing on them, I should take a sample for Microbiology (I looked at a stained sample from my cheek thru a microscope today, the professor was very complimentary about my healthy big nucleus in the squamous epithelium). I gotta work my magic and make that ribbon fall off (thanks to some cutting while he's sleeping) tonight.

Owen's board break, from doing a reverse kick. He got it on his first try.

Owen getting his blue belt

4 comments:

kristi said...

ok, a 7 year old is officially way cooler than me. like i could ever break a board...well, ok, maybe if i got really pissed off. haha

you take the best snow pictures. they are bleak and forlorn in an incredibly beautiful way. the shadows and lines are really impressive!

so jealous of your new camera...

BabelBabe said...

my ribbon has been on since June (it was "I wish no harm to come to my children" but it was in French). Si's ribbon has also been on since then and he routinely chews it. I never ever once thought of the germs. You are clearly a much better mother than I, so stop worrying so much : )

PSUMommy said...

I'm loving the photos! Especially the ones of the wall...so many wishes. And that sunset...I love sunsets, especially with clouds like that.

Elise A. Miller said...

great photos. the ribbons give me chills. where is this wall? congrats on your molecules.