Wednesday, September 03, 2008

detox

Okay so I'm the sort of person who goes through food kicks where I'll eat the same thing for inordinately long periods of time. In my twenties these food kicks were not the most healthy, salt & vinegar kettle chips with a king size bag of m&m's was my lunch for, oh about 6 months, while I freelanced at Martha Stewart. During that time I also used to hit McDonalds for super-sized meals 3 to 4 times a week, how I was at my lightest during that fast food period is dumbfounding. But this summer, after a lovely visit to my friend Elise, I got on a kick of eating plain greek yogurt with granola and blueberries for breakfast, and frequently lunch, and sometimes as a late night snack. Totally healthy - greek yogurt is naturally low in fat and high in protein, the granola was low fat with almonds and blueberries are like nature's superfood. But over the past week the blueberries have left all the grocery stores. A couple weeks ago Trader Joe's was out of my low fat almond granola for close to a week. And I went to Trader Joe's today and they don't have their large tubs of greek yogurt anymore, now they only have individual sizes with blueberries or honey already in them. So I've got to buy the Fage yogurt which is $2 more. And I'm totally jonesing for fresh blueberries and lamenting having to wait nine months to taste one again. Not to get off on a tangent but I think this is why I like the show Monk so much. I probably have OCD, I definitely have anxiety, and although I'm not a brilliant detective the way Monk is, well he's lovable in spite of his quirks, in many ways they're what make him so great as a dectective. So my blueberry withdrawal notwithstanding, hopefully my quirks endear me to some troubled souls, like my hubby and close friends, and I'm hoping my constant worrying/perfectionistic tendencies will actually help me in certain ways with the nursing field. God knows I'll be conscientious. Does anyone know if frozen blueberries are a reasonable fascimile of fresh?

2 comments:

kristi said...

oh that sounds heavenly. we've been eating greek yogurt lately whenever we make indian food, but i didn't know what it was really before i started buying it for recipes. i did NOT know it's naturally low fat! it has so much more flavor.

okay, so i'm not helping. i would say that unless you freeze the blueberries yourself they are not as good. but you could always try one bag and see how they taste. this makes me think of the canned ones they put in prepackaged muffin boxes, where they can really hardly be called blueberries--they are more like blue pellets or something, so tiny. so i think frozen ones are bigger but i don't know about as sweet & juicy...

good luck with your studying!

sew nancy said...

yeah the frozen ones not so good
and the greek yogurt is so good
last time i was at trader joe's ( a few weeks back) they still had it.
maybe they were just out of stock
as for fresh blueberries maybe you need to drive to cape cod:)