Friday, August 15, 2008

the grey dress

Yes, I am vain enough to crop out my legs because they just aren't looking up to snuff in this photo. I was wearing this dress on Wednesday when I went to visit my Grandma. I came bearing nine boxes of 3 ply kleenex because my Grandma needs a kleenex with weight to it and she goes through them the way my kids go through gummies. Now I usually look very casual when I see her, baggy jeans and a shapeless shirt - you get the idea. Well, I came in this $22 dress I just got from Target (I love empire waist dresses and shirts, they make boobs looks so perky, even ones that have been worn out from nursing) and my Grandma kept going on and on about how lovely I looked in it and what a nice figure I have. Normally I'm like teflon when it comes to compliments, I find it very hard to take in, but when you're dealing with someone with dementia giving you a compliment, well they keep repeating it again and again until it finally sinks in. God bless that woman, she is the kindest soul. It breaks my heart to see her cognitive decline but when she smiles when I come in or I bring Oona, she's so darn appreciative of the littlest things. As hard as it is to see her failing bit by bit I am so thankful that she moved out to Pittsburgh and that I've been able to reestablish a close relationship with her again.

5 comments:

kristi said...

oh my gosh i haven't even finished reading the post and i have to stop and comment and tell you i wanted this VERY SAME DRESS from there! as soon as i saw the photo i thought, "hey is that the dress from target i want?" and sure enough... no wonder we are blog friends!

and ok you are so tiny--no more negative comments about yourself allowed, because you are beautiful!

sew nancy said...

love the dress
i may have to go get it.
you look amazing and strong and beautiful

again, i love this wall color too.
looks lavender/gray- is it? tell me the color

Amelia Plum said...

Hey Nancy,

The kitchen color is Ralph Lauren's 'Dusty Blue' SS53- under the Sea & Sky collection. Ralph lauren also makes a 'celery' VM117 - under Vintage Masters that's lovely. As for the bedroom it's Martha Stewart for Kmart's Heather (B08). It is a lavender grey but it's a bit darker than I wanted.

All of these were color matched to Behr paint, because it's cheap and holds up well. But you might want to try Sherman Williams Harmony (no VOC) that's what we've been using lately. Much easier to tolerate from a smell perspective but it is pricey.

Hope that helps you out.

Elise A. Miller said...

um, can you rock that dress any harder? You know I totally tried that motherfecker on, couldn't do it justice, but you, YOU! Your grandma is keen. lots o love...

jennypah said...

You look great in that dress! Get it in every color and wear one every day! Okay maybe that's overkill but hopefully your grandma's compliments put a skip in your step.