Thursday, August 14, 2008

couldn't leave well enough alone

I'm a secular flagellant. At least that's what I believe my unhealthy obsession with stripping furniture is like. I don't even know why I keep doing stuff like this. My masochistic streak runs deep I guess. This dresser used to be in Owen's bedroom then got moved down to the kitchen when my mom gave us her old dresser for Owen (I changed the hardware on that one and it's amazing what a difference that can make). So this dresser is fine, utilitarian, helps control the sprawling mess in our ill-designed, I don't know if you could even say it was actually designed, kitchen. But the chipping paint from where the coffemaker sits has been driving me batty. And I've been questioning why I had Toby change the hardware from pulls to knobs, I'll blame it pregnancy - Owen was gestating during a long hot summer.

I've gotten the paint off of two drawers so far and removed the faux wood grain but instead of wood on the recatangular face of the drawer there's a thing melamine type of layer underneath and then wood under that (the edges are wood and sanded down now. So do I try and strip off the melamine or quit now put sandable primer on it and paint it a nice dove gray type of color?

Oh and just so you know, I'm already contemplating buying another dresser (solid wood) painted a horrible purple color for $29.99. If I strip it it will be a really nice piece and it has great legs, much better than this dresser. And I keep wanting to strip the doors on our second and third floor as well, they've got a faux wood grain painted on them but are probably pine underneath.

what do you think?
1. you've got Peel Away oozing out of your pores. your were made to strip every piece of wood that's painted/stained poorly. take it all on
2. buy the purple dresser but do not strip 8 doors, you'd be crazy to take that on.
3. you remind me of that guy in The DaVinci Code, the one with the metal cilice on his thigh except your cilice must be made of steel wool and stripper

5 comments:

PSUMommy said...

Ha, no advice here except that MAN is stripping fun! (Um...that sounds just plain naughty...)

(Hi!)

-emily, of the Adam's Wife persuasion

kristi said...

um...you & PSUmommy can do all the stripping you want (and yes, that DOES sound naughty! ha).

i'm the nonstripping kind of gal for sure. i always opt for paint over whatever's there and it will look more "shabby chic." :)

plus, i quit things easily and let things defeat me, so i can see stripping really getting me down. good luck!

sew nancy said...

that purple dresser needs to be done
i say go for that and skip the doors for now
oh, and happy belated birthday to owen.
your baby shower for him seems like a million years ago to me.

sew nancy said...

me again
i love the paint color on the wall
which is it?

Anonymous said...

I have a couple of dressers here needing some attention in Indiana...when are you coming to visit me again?? ;)