Wednesday, March 12, 2008

the donut

I didn't get a picture up yesterday because during my naptime drive Oona would not fall asleep. She kept crying while I was driving and I finally asked her if she'd stop if we went back home and got her dolly to which she said yes and then threw up. It was a lot of puke and very smelly and all over her car seat. I was trying to drive and check that she was alright when she hurled again and then I was about to hurl, the puke was so nasty smelling. We were only a few blocks from home so, naturally, we went there and Oona waddled up the front steps covered in puke while I carried her puke filled car seat inside. I stripped Oona and the car seat and threw everything in the wash, while I soaked the straps and buckle to the car seat in warm water. I was putting Oona into a pair of pj's when she started puking again, three more times, all over the living room carpet. Poor thing, she started saying 'crib' so I brought her upstairs, gave her a quick bath, dressed her in puke-free pj's and put her in her crib, where she asked me to turn on her nighlight, told me she was okay and promptly fell asleep. I was left with an hour and a half to clean up puke and get rid of the puke smell, by that point I felt like it was coming out of my pores, before getting Owen from school. It got on her seat in the car and the carpet too, ugh! I spent the whole time scrubbing living room carpet and the car. Thankfully, I found a neighbor to come over with her kids and sit at the house while Oona slept, so I could go pick up Owen, since her carseat wasn't clean yet I didn't know what else to do. This godsend of a neighbor took Owen to play with her daughter when we returned and I crashed for an hour still smelling puke between fitful napping. We're very fortunate in that whatever bug Oona got was short lived. She woke up right before Toby got home from work, well rested and happy as a clam. We only allowed her bland food the rest of the night but this morning she seemed back to her usual self so I indulged her. I know I shouldn't of after being sick such a short time ago, but she's my baby and loves those 'donuts with snow on top'. Can't say I blame her, I've been known to eat half a box in a sitting - horrible, I know.

the highs and lows of the devil's food crumb donut

2 comments:

kristi said...

i have had that same experience of throw-up in the car. and that experience of having that smell up my nose too--it seems almost impossible to get rid of once it's up there. it's like everywhere you go you smell it, and i have almost gone crazy sometimes trying to figure out if i cleaned it all up, or if there is a little left somewhere i still didn't see...it's maddening.

the picture of that donut is beautiful. i'm glad oona is ok and that you have thoughtful neighbors who can help out. what a blessing.

hope today is much better!

sew nancy said...

the stomach bug
i'll keep my fingers crossed you don't get it
it made it's way through our family, siblings, cousins you name it
although matty only threw up once it was a doozy
i had it on christmas and mick had it a few weeks letter and went to the ER
not fun
at least you made up with donuts
love these photos.