Monday, August 17, 2009

milestones

Owen just lost his first tooth and, of course, I had to thoroughly document the event. This tooth has been causing Owen many tears over the past two days, although, like his mom, Owen is quick to tears. It started bleeding at the care center at the gym yesterday and he was crying. The woman watching him there was like, you just got to pull that out for him, which I tried but I couldn't. As soon as he started crying I couldn't do it (I'm hoping/praying I'll be better equipped to handle things as a nurse with strangers - can you imagine me folding on giving a shot if someone starts tearing up?!).

Tonight at bedtime he told me I could pull it out if I got some paper towels. So, eager beaver that I was I ran down and got some paper towels to protect my delicate son from seeing or tasting blood. He still looked nervous so I ran back down and got ice to numb the area, but, dear readers, he just started welling up again. I put aside the paper towels, ice and told him that I couldn't pull his tooth out. This was no way to go about losing his first tooth. I gave him a hug and a kiss, told him I loved him and went downstairs (quite a workout going up and down those stairs in this heat. But, lo and behold, just a few minutes later I hear a cry of joy and Owen shouted that he'd pulled it out.

I went upstairs, camera in hand, and my dear little sensitive son was crying, this time because he was so excited that he got it out. I got out the tooth fairy pillow, put the tooth in the tooth pocket and hung it on his dresser. Owen asked how the tooth fairy would get in the house, would she use the door or a window. I told him I thought she might tap on the window, since she's a fairy, and I'd open up the screen to let her in. Then he asked what she does with the teeth, I shrugged my shoulders saying I didn't know. I tucked him in and gave him another big hug and kiss, then went downstairs again. But folks the tears didn't end then, five minutes later I hear a yelp and went upstairs to find my son in tears once again. What's wrong I asked wondering if the other loose tooth was about to come out. I don't want to give it away. His tooth. I assured him that we could keep the tooth and that I would explain things to the tooth fairy, 'I think she'll understand. She'll probably think highly of you, knowing that your tooth is that important to you.' So... I've got to find a dollar bill somewhere and a teeny tiny bag for the tooth, which I was planning on saving anyway, but Owen just breaks my heart with this stuff.

P.S. I swear I do feed Owen, even if you wouldn't know it to look at him.

2 comments:

sew nancy said...

ah! the tooth fairy!
such a big day
look at the tiny little toof

Elise A. Miller said...

mazel tooth!