Monday, August 03, 2009

love means never having to say your sorry

Yeah, if you're a two year old or a sociopath. I don't know how so many people loved Love Story with such a half-assed cornball catchphrase. I guess it was trendy at the time, sort of like Lady Gaga and the Jonas Brothers who both terrify me in different yet equally powerful ways.

So on friday afternoon at the gym I walked into the rowing machine being the graceful creature that I am. I blame it on the fact that I frequently wish I could work out yet be invisible at the same time and I had some confusion with this ideation and my corporeal self tore the skin on my shin on the corner of the machine. Thank God that no one was on the rowing machine at the time. Really unflattering picture of my shin here.

Eeewwww! Then we can get up close and gory with this one. My friend's son had a bad fall on his bike and scraped up his shin and elbow, much worse than this but he had those white dots in the deeper epidermis too. My friend feared it was his bone at first. I think it's adipose tissue (fancy name for fat) but I can't be sure since that was covered in A&P 1 and I was pregnant, very sick and just happy to make it through the class without puking.

These pictures are of Owen doing 'gangster hands' which he frequently does, especially when music is playing, it does not have to be rap or hip hop as long as it's not Dido the hands come out.
And here is Oona doing what she calls 'lobster hands' but then she says look at my claws. Can anyone see the difference between gangster and lobster hands. And why is it that I get annoyed when Owen does gangster hands and tell him to stop but I think Oona doing lobster hands is cute and sort of funny.

Stair progress- so close yet so far. And I don't know what to do once I've finished stripping these darn stairs since the wood isn't all that great (hundred year old pine). I've thought of painting the risers white or grey while putting a dark stain on the tread and then putting a runner on them. Then I'll need to stain the railing to match the stair treads, it's neverending. I'd love to have them just be stained but the wood isn't good enough (as far as I can tell). The hallway will eventually be Brittany Blue, a lovely pale Benjamin Moore blue that I see in many a home decorating magazine. Any suggestions welcome in this department.
Close up of the mastic paint covered mess that greets me on each step. Mastic is a an extremely tough and thick adhesive used to bond things, usually tile but I think they used it on carpeting here, some of the previous owners must have been morons I also pried a thick,squat screw up from the front of one tread - carpet tacks ran out so they just figured why not?! This is on hold for a few more days, until my Smartstrip order arrives.

2 comments:

BabelBabe said...

probably because lobster hands is fricking hilarious and Owen doing gangster hands just reminds you of all the dumb, WASP-y frat boys at college...?

Anonymous said...

I have the same things...Alex will do something and it will make my skin crawl, but Ethan will do something similar and I'll think it's adorable. Their ages, maybe? Maybe because the intent is different?

Alex has been asking to see her "boyfriend", by the way...she's informed everyone that Owen is her boyfriend, and she misses him. We need to get together again soon!