Monday, October 20, 2008

state of the union

And by union I mean my solipsistic state of being, trying to make sense of the random jumble of crap filtering through my mind lately...

1. Ongoing internal debate over how much to do to fix up this house. I want to redo both bathrooms and the kitchen and redo the ceilings and floors, oh and I'd like to redo the cracking plaster walls and - this is the madness of owning a house, at least to me, I see every darn imperfection and want to fix it like yesterday. I'm also obsessed with taking down our wonky garage myself, with my own bare (well glove covered) hands and redoing our postage stamp backyard for major city/space appeal.

2. Is the Daily Mirror a reputable london paper? something tells me it might be the equivalent of Star. I want to know the veracity of this article on McCain's first wife.

3. Is it completely bitchy of me to find typos funny? They never cease to make me laugh, especially hand-painted ones where they're selling fruit and melon is misspelled or the ampersand is backwards. And two emails I got from friends, to this day they make me laugh to think about them. One was announcing a birth where they inadvertently wrote 'we could be happier' and another where someone meant to write about a debilitating illness but put depilitating instead, like a Nair induced illness of alopecia. So it's probably bitchy of me to find these things so funny right? Unless you're a comrade in the geek humor of typos. I even cracked myself up captioning a picture of Oona behead instead of bedhead, fortunately I caught it before posting it online.

4. Am I insane to try and go 3 weeks without wheat in my diet? I've started today and let me just tell you wheat, sugar and caffeine are the base of my food pyramid but I keep wondering if I'll feel better eliminating them from my diet so... I've tiptoed in and started with wheat today, the easiest one to me. Will let you know if I feel any miraculous change in energy, intelligence or if my skin starts beaming with health. Letting go of caffeine will be, without a doubt, the hardest one for me to give up. Anyone who's tried elimination diets and has advice/warnings to offer feel free to comment.

5. They have specialized hospitals for children, woman and cancer patients here in Pittsburgh. Why not a specialized hospital for geriatric patients with a significant part devoted to handling patients with the dementia? After my two experiences in the ER with my Grandma I can tell you that there is a desperate need for specialized acute care when dealing with the elderly, especially those with dementia and it is sorely lacking currently. And while we're on it when will this country get real to needing universal healthcare so everyone can be covered and no one has to cut medicine in half to make it last longer or wait until things are really really bad to go see the doctor. This should be a given wherever in the world you live. I don't care if you're gay, illegal, albino, hypochondriacal, megalomaniacal - everyone should be able to get and stay healthy.

2 comments:

kristi said...

re: #2, the story is absolutely true. i just scanned, so i don't know what kinds of details they put in, but the overall story is true--and he hasn't denied any of the story. it's been amazingly quiet though. which i find very interesting, esp. when he attacks obama's character.

re: #4, wow! i have tried giving up sugar but still use it in my coffee (so obviously i haven't given up caffeine!). and my friend went on a wheat-free and sugar-free diet and lost weight like crazy, but she didn't say anything about her skin glowing. although if she was happy with her weight it was probably glowing... :) good luck!

sew nancy said...

#1
I wouldn't kill yourself over fixing up the house unless you are going to stay there for a while.
#3
Typos are funny.
#4
That's a lot to give up.
I don't have caffeine but I tell you it's hard and I think I might cave soon! I don't know if it is possible for me to give up sugar that's how I make up for the lack of caffeine.
That will take a lot of determination.