Wednesday, October 29, 2008

balance

My mom was out from Friday to this morning and my gluten free diet fell by the wayside while she was here (like big time - 5 slices of pizza on friday and a huge chocolate chip paradise pie from chilis last night). But today I'm back to my gluten free ways. I didn't see much difference but I was only gluten free for four days so maybe that's why. My Grandmother is on hospice now, the reason why my Mom came out. She's declined considerably since she went to the hospital three weeks ago and I was fighting with the nurses at Sunrise about putting her on hospice last week. My mom is the power of attorney so she had to go by what I was saying and the contradictory stuff the head nurse was saying but when she came out she could understand why I felt she needed to be put on hospice. I cannot tell you how incensed I get at some of the absolute bullshit that goes on with geriatric care. Grandma's doctor was saying it was too abrupt to put her on hospice so suddenly but the woman hasn't even seen my Grandmother in over a month so she has no real idea of how bad she looks, she's lost a ton of weight and she was bird sized to begin with. I won't go into all the details but suffice it to say the way the elderly are treated in this country, especially those with dementia issues, is absolutely deplorable. It makes me apoplectic and determined to go through nursing school so I can change the system for the better, in my own little way I hope to make a difference. So I'll be posting less regularly because I'm trying to visit my Grandma as much as I can, even if she sleeps when I'm there I like to think just being there and holding her arm or patting her leg makes her feel calmer. And I'm insanely devoted to my gym time in order to physically expel all this frustrating energy I deal with day to day. Health care and gym membership should be a right not a privilege in my book.
Just as an aside you know how you'll see all sorts of political signs like 'catholics for obama' or 'italian americans for mccain' I was daydreaming about completely elitist obama support signs like 'mensas for obama' or 'arugula lovers for obama' or 'scrabble lovers for obama' stuff like this just makes me laugh which I need to do or I'll start bawling. Ooh, I saw Rachel Getting Married over the weekend and highly recommend it; an amazing film, Anne Hathaway is extraordinary and it's a great tearjerker - at least for me it was.

2 comments:

sew nancy said...

sorry to hear about your grandma's declining health and the terrible care she is getting.
it's so good she has you nearby. i know your visits make a difference and i feel sorry for the people that no one goes to visit.

oh, and arugula lovers for obama- too good. i should make that sign

Amelia Plum said...

the care givers (CNAs) where my grandma lives, who see her every day, are wonderful but the bitchy nurse and MIA doctor leave a lot to be desired! i was talking to the hospice social worker today and she said the people without any family visiting them are the ones that can really get neglected. horrible!