Friday, July 04, 2008

a new obsession

Okay, by nature I can become somewhat obsessive with bargains. I mean actual bargains, not buying something you don't need or putting something on credit and then paying three times the original price because your interest rate is high. So... I have needed some new clothes for a long time now, all my trips to the gym and cutting back on eating 4 candy bars and a 20 ounce coke as an after dinner treat (horrible I know) have paid off. My body image always seems to be a bit skewed, no matter how much I weigh I always look the same to me, which my chubby version, at least that's what I see. Back in June Toby and I stayed with a wonderful dear old friend from college (whom I miss so so much and having an extended weekend with her made me miss her that much more) and her family. She offered me whatever clothes I might need so I borrowed a pair of pants and a shirt one day, she has very nice clothes, even the casual stuff. I was sucking in my stomach putting on the pants thinking, there's no way these will fit, but lo and behold they did. And imagine my surprise when I saw what size they were and made a mental note, no wonder I can't find clothes that fit properly, I try things on that are a size or two bigger than my friend's pants. This might seem like a no brainer to some but it was really quite an epiphany to me, like I'm always trying on clothes for the chubbier me. Well that weekend unleashed an animal in me and over the past month I've made 3 trips to the Gap and one to Ann Taylor where I wound up getting.

from the gap
1 belt
3 shirts
2 v-neck cardigans
1 skirt
5 pants (very cute sunkissed chinos, which means they're extremely lightweight and perfect for summer)
and a dress from Ann Taylor!

at the normal retail price this would have set me back $592.50
but I got everything for $194.82 for a whopping savings of $397.68! 67% savings, hope my math is right there!

It makes me giddy, saving that much, it's probably the closest I'll ever come to feeling like I won the lottery. Okay, when I had my children I definitely won the lottery there, even if they drive me batty sometimes. I've become a price adjustment zealot, and I still have two weeks to see if the price on my 2 cardigans drops any lower. Happy 4th of July everybody!

2 comments:

Elise A. Miller said...

aww, that is like, the sweetest. hope you had a happy fourth with your badass self and all your new togs. cheers babe! ooxx

kristi said...

i meant to comment on this--hitting the sale rack and scoring all those bargains is TOTALLY a high! hooray for you! and i see the chubbiest version of myself too--honestly i don't know a woman who doesn't. stupid societal pressures. sometimes i want to just have new eyes, or a new brain, or do some reprogramming or something, but i guess that's impossible...just know that you are most likely tons inches smaller than you see yourself. :)