Tuesday, July 22, 2008

the bonehunters

We went to the Carnegie Museum on Sunday because the kids were itching to do the dino dig. It's great that we've got a membership because we can go to the history museum, the art museum, and the science center - that's a lot of culture for our two young kids. My husband always laments that he never got to go anywhere as a child when Owen whines about something. Honestly, spoiled kids aren't the most appreciative and between Owen's whining and Oona's temper tantrums I feel like Michael Scott managing the most dysfunctional office imaginable, my home! Oh I need a new job. Oona and Owen both act wonderful for everyone else but me and my husband. And I have to say I've got the short end of the stick here because I'm with them all the time. When I came home this morning (Toby and I had to attend a school meeting for Owen because he qualifies for gifted services, thank God it's probably the only way he'll get a decent education through Pittsburgh's Public Schools) Oona starts hitting me in front of the sitter, calling me stupid and telling me she's going to throw me in the garbage. Yep, nothing like that outburst to make me feel like mother of the year. Anyone with book recommendations for handling strong-willed children please let me know. Oh, in my darkest mom moments I'm like, could I be raising a sociopath? My darling devil child. Maybe she could star in an Omen sequel. Hopefully everyone that's reading this knows that I'm kidding but you know how you can feel pushed to the edge by your children's behavior sometimes when you're a stay at home mom. At least she isn't like this with everyone, thank God for that. Now if I can only figure out what I'm doing wrong that's made Oona the dominant female in this mother/daughter relationship.

1 comment:

kristi said...

our kids are (mostly) angelic around other people, but when they are with us or are at home with a sitter/the grandparents, they can be complete maniacs. i think it has something to do with being in their own domain. and we are constantly struggling to keep rule over our domain, instead of letting them succeed at a hostile takeover. ;)

our kids would LOVE that dino dig! you got some great pics to capture the day!