Friday, May 09, 2008

prodigy

Oona and I made an impromptu visit to her doctor's office today because she's had a nasty rash on her nether regions the past few days. I figured it was contact dermatitis (my fancy name for diaper rash) but Toby was very concerned so I figured she should get checked out just to be on the safe side. Her regular doctor wasn't there but one of the partners, who was very friendly, checked her out and, I was right, it was diaper rash. He raised an eyebrow when he saw it, given that I called in and said I figured that's what it was, but I told him, 'my husband was very concerned.' He smiled and nodded with understanding saying, 'Dad's do tend to worry about that with their little girls.' It's a good thing I went though, fifteen dollar copay aside, because he recommended low dose hydropcortisone and an antifungal. If she had developed fungus, which he said she's at risk for when the skin is so broken down, I would have been kicking myself for not getting her to the doctor sooner.

After she was done with her check up the doctor was chatting with her as she babbled about the leopard sleeping on his paws in the framed photo in the room (the practice recently moved into a green building and I'm amazed at how nice the decor is). He was so impressed by how bright she was and if a pediatrician is impressed that's really impressive, no? 'Where did she learn to talk so well?' he asked, marveling at her. 'She's got a big brother who's pretty articulate.' I replied. 'Not just the words, her whole sense of phrasing. She's really bright.' Oona was pleased as punch to perform and as the doctor said colors Oona jumped to the appropriate linoleum square. I was swelling with pride as we got ready to go. Oona stopped for a pretzel rod and picked out a sticker, a dinosaur one over dora and the other frilly girly stuff. I was ready to burst, she was so brilliant and cool. She babbled in the back seat during the ride home playing with her sticker until I heard her demand, 'get it off of me!' and I turned around to find the triceratops running across her bangs. Uh oh, it was so funny looking though I couldn't resist taking a couple pictures. Fortunately, it came off with the bare minimum of hair pulling.

Hope everyone has a great Mother's day!


5 comments:

kristi said...

that is the sweetest smile!

kristi said...

oh,and meant to say happy mother's day to you too! :)

sew nancy said...

happy mother's day!

cookie said...

happy mothers day!
that is the sweetest story!
she gets it from you, they both do, i'm sure.
love

cookie said...

i am from south africa.
and.. my mom still lives there..lol:)
sorry if i gave the impression she was no longer with us.. i only get to see her every few years,and still miss her being with me in a physical way.
love