Tuesday, May 27, 2008

my tuesday feels like a monday

Hope everyone in the US enjoyed their Memorial Day weekend. Toby took the kids to his parents Saturday and Sunday while I worked on this antique bed-frame that I bought for Oona last year. This darn bed is killing me! The last time Toby went to his parents for the weekend I stripped the frame and this weekend I finished stripping it and sanded it down, it's a never ending project. I still have to paint it, because the wood isn't in the greatest shape, and we had to custom order a mattress for the bed because it's 6 inches narrower and a few inches shorter than a standard twin bed. So for right now Oona sleeps on the mattress on the floor and it looks bizarre because it's so narrow that the mattress sort of puffs up in the middle. Suffice it to say, I'm having second thoughts about why I even bothered buying the bed-frame, BUT hopefully once it's all done and in Oona's room I'll see what I originally envisioned when I happened upon the bed frame.

Yesterday we went to the Carnegie Science Center to watch the robocup. The picture above is from the back of the Science Center, I think Pittsburgh looks pretty good for a former steel city. It was a great idea of Toby's to watch the robocup but Owen quickly lost interest and Oona disinterested from the start. She wanted to spend all her time in the train room, which is pretty incredible. It's this great room with a huge train display, each corner of the room sized table is a different season (spring could definitely use a dusting) with all these cute little homes and mechanized miniature people swinging on tree swinging or doing other cute activities. And the room gradually goes from morning to night and back agains every few minutes. One of the men that worked there let Oona push a large button that made the train whistle and gave her a train hand stamp. When Oona wasn't in the train room she wanted to be at the water table, where you can balance balls in the water arcs. But Oona didn't want to throw the balls, just see how many she could hoard. So from this paragraph you can deduce that I was in charge of watching Oona at the Science Center. Later in the day we had an early dinner at Mad Mex where I filled myself to bursting on carnitas enchiladas, I was still feeling full this morning. I love Mexican food but if I ate it as much as I'd like to I'd be as big as a house.

1 comment:

sew nancy said...

your weekend sounds nice
and that train room sounds just perfect for the little kids
a few days to yourself...now that is nice.
i never go anywhere for more then an hour alone and that's rare - it's more like 20 minutes but, i'm cool with it for now

i'm interested in the bed...we bought little m a rope bed that was converted by metal clips at the bottom so you don't have to use ropes but, we haven't put it together as i'm thinking that it won't work with the bed rail not that he hasn't fallen out already
he's on a mattress and box spring

um, i'm supposed to be working on getting him to finish his dinner instead of blabbing on


xx