Thursday, February 28, 2008

i am america (and so can you!)

I have a thing for smart asses, they make me swoon. If I were single I would probably have a few more cats, own the Pride & Prejudice DVD, and would be a round robin stalker of Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart and Ricky Gervais (he would be a bit harder to stalk being across the pond and all). Seriously though, I love these three guys. They are so smart and so so funny, which beats looks any day of the week in my mind. That sounds like I think they're homely, which I don't. I think they're all good looking, but I guess, I'm just trying to say that wit trumps looks. It's sort of silly that I like them so much since I don't have cable, I just get to appreciate them through youtube videos and NPR podcasts. Toby got this book for me for Christmas and at first I was less than enthused, but this is the best present I got for Christmas. His all-purpose counseling session for a family of four had me in tears. You circle the choices that apply and at one point it's the mother's turn for scrutiny and it mentions that she's always been their emotional (pillar of strength/powder keg) I was laughing and crying in the car while Oona slept, fearing that the joggers who pass the car in the park would think me insane. The whole chapter on religion is absolutely brilliant, he calls agnostics atheists without balls and shows a picture of waffles near his definition, for cults he has a picture of the mac apple. To really get a feel for the book I'd suggest finding it in the book store and reading pages 16 thru 17 (all-purpose family counseling session) and the 'know your class' chart on page 163 another one that had me in tears it's so damn funny.

2 comments:

kristi said...

for a long time we watched the daily show as our main source of news. now we also do watch brian williams, but jon stewart is much more entertaining! :)

and you are right--steven colbert is such a smart ass. his mind is so fast too; on his show you can tell things just pop into his brain so quickly to be able to come back at the people he's interviewing. i have seen so many of his guests just sit there with their mouths hanging open because he throws zinger after zinger at them!

Alex said...

try this link if you like Ricky Gervais. It's the best bits in between songs on his radio show over here. Very funny.

http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=49909