Thursday, February 07, 2008

itch

Didn't get a photo up yesterday since I spent a good portion of the day scratching various parts of my body. See that little rash on my neck, that's my PG version of what I can show you, the rest of my rash is covering a good bit of my scalp, torso and backside. I was panicking yesterday that I might have shingles, chicken pox, a really bad case of body lice (which would be awful what with all you have to do to delouse a house of nits, a nightmare!) or worst case scenario Morgellon's syndrome. I kept thinking of the movie Bug (Don't watch it, trust me your life will be worse if you watch this. That the director of The French Connection could stoop so low, it's horrible.) where they're picking at invisible bugs on their skin constantly. Alas, after a visit to my dermatologist this morning (my primary care doctor would not fit me into his schedule yesterday even though I said I had a bad rash that I was worried could be contagious, they said I could go to the ER - will be switching to a new primary care doc pronto) I learned that I have a wicked case of hives. He said it was a good thing I came in when I did as it was bad to begin with and letting it go longer would only make it worse. I've never had hives before and he can't say for certain what caused it, virus, stress, environmental factors? Who knows. So now I get to take prednisone for the next ten days and hopefully it will clear up. He said the prednisone should make me feel better right away. I was leery of taking steroids but at this point I'm miserable with itching so much, it's affecting my sleep.

3 comments:

kristi said...

oh i'm so sorry...hope the medicine does its trick fast and that you feel better soon. (and also glad it turned out not to be one of the other things you were worried about it being--i do the same thing: jump to conclusions when anything is wrong with me!)

Anonymous said...

oh i'm sorry. you must feel wretched. hope you're doing better now........... at least now you know what you have...... the speculation can drive one crazy.

Elise A. Miller said...

hey! so sorry to hear about the hives! I hope they are better soon. yuck. And congrats on making it through the 9 days sans Toby! How cool are you. Miss you...