Wednesday, May 23, 2007

atonement

I finished Atonement over the weekend and was blown away by it. It's been some time since I've had a chance to read much of anything, aside from magazines, but I still can't get over how good a novel it was. I was so sad to finish this book it was that impressive. They've made a movie of it which should be out some time soon. Please, I'm begging you, read the book before seeing the movie. You'll be so glad you did. I had to take a breather before starting another book because Atonement just walloped me but now I'm deeply engulfed in Zadie Smith's latest which is incredibly good and I'm just gobsmacked (I'm on an English writer kick so the word seems appropriate) by the fact that she's written three incredibly well received novels and she's all of 32. But back to Atonement, I'm going to have to read all of Ian McEwan's work now, his early works which I read years ago (my God well over ten years ago - I feel so old!) pale next to this novel. Go buy the book now or run to your nearest library! It receives my highest rating - five out of five plums.

1 comment:

sew nancy said...

hmm you've really got me interested. i'll have to check it out. i've been meaning to read zadie smith too for some time now.
i love your plums- that's too cute