Saturday, August 06, 2011

unaccustomed earth


I had started reading this book last year and loved all the short stories but couldn't get into the last part, which was a novella centering on two characters, Hema and Naushik. Maybe I was put off because the story starts in the second person and I think that is a very hard narrative point of view to pull off. But I hate not finishing a book. It's just a compulsion of mine that once I start a book I have to finish it, even if it is over a year later (although I might have to break this compulsion with The Dinosaur Man, which I dread finishing). Anyhow I picked up Unaccustomed Earth to revisit the last part and I easily fell into the story and couldn't understand my initial hesitance to finish reading (although I know that how much I enjoy a book us has a lot to do with what is going on in my lives that might make the book resonate all the more powerfully to me). In fact, the last part is now my favorite of that book and I bawled on reading the last page, wept harder than I have with any other book I read, it killed me. I don't even know how to comment with respect to Jhumpa Lahiri's writing aside to say that I'm completely amazed at the command she has for writing where everything is distilled down to it's essence, she does not write one superfluous word in her books. And as good as her writing is stylistically, the level of insight she has into the intricacies of the human heart could put the best therapist to shame. I think she is, hands down, the best person writing fiction in America today.

3 comments:

sew nancy said...

I have only read one of her books but, I like her style. Perhaps I will pick this up.
Unrelated-
I was at the pool yesterday and Scarlet was on my lap and I got stung but didn't see what it was - most likey a wasp or hornet and the inside of my knee looks like poor Owen's hand did from a few posts back. The swelling is getting worse 30 hours later and is hot and blistering. If it is not better tomorrow I will go to the doctor. To top it off S threw up in the car tonight. Fun weekend, eh!

Amelia Plum said...

Sorry to hear about your sting. Try taking Benadryl for your sting and ice it and elevate it if you can. If that doesn't help a Dr. could prescribe you a steroid.

sew nancy said...

Thanks. Dr said it was a localized allergic reaction, infection possibly cellulitis. I am still red swollen 7" x 6" area of my leg. Whatever stung is nasty