Tuesday, April 05, 2011


This is a blanket that only took me over a year to finally make for Owen, it was supposed to be a Christmas present for 2009 but he got it around Chinese New Year of 2011. Oh well, at least he was appreciative. So appreciative that he even complimented the lavender satin blanket binding, my cheat for sort of eyeballing the measurements of the blanket. What 8 year old boy thinks to comment on how beautiful the light purple binding is? The jolly rodgers that face him are ultra cuddle fleece, very soft and yummy with the flip side being two different types of corduroy, top and bottom are, the awesome in its ugliness, chartreuse fine wale with maroon wide wale sandwiched in between. The only thing I didn't consider was how much Sam, our fluffy, lovable, fat in spite of throwing food up right after eating it, cat loves sleeping on Owen's bed at all times. So now I frequently have to hit that blanket with the power paw attachment of my vacuum to clear off the haze of cat hair. Nothing like making more work for myself.

I want to make a fabric headboard for my bed but that might have to wait until Chinese new year of 2013. I have just the vision of it in my mind though, lovely and easily removable so I can wash it if need be because I love my washable slipcovers.

2 comments:

krist said...

that blanket looks very snuggly! i can't believe you can find time to sew with everything else going on. but then again people say that to me and i think i find time to do "non-work" things because it's an outlet. makes me feel like i'm accomplishing something. i like the boy's bed too.

Amelia Plum said...

thanks kristi. i found the bed frame at this weekly yard sale that goes on outside an apt complex i pass all the time. it was $10, but then i had it sandblasted and powdercoated the steely grey color, that was a bit more expensive but he seems happy with it.