Monday, November 16, 2009

sunshine

My daughter is trying to seduce me, and it's working. She turned a corner with her fourth birthday. She's much more even keeled and doesn't throw nearly as many temper tantrums. She'll still get upset about things and whine but it's a minor blip compared to the flare ups she used to have where she'd shriek in a way that must have instantly spiked my blood pressure to imminent stroke levels. But I road it out, miraculously enough, and she's still strong willed but so much more manageable. Now it's Owen that's throwing mouthy comments my way, sulking or stomping off when he feels I've wronged him, although he never gets far since he won't go upstairs without me or his sister also being up there. Of course it would work this way, when one's nice I'm on the other's shit list. Driving to karate this evening Owen was pouting because I said no tv for the night after he breathed on my sideview mirror and put yet another happy face on it. I sound like such a bitch, I know. But I've asked him not to do this at least half a dozen times, one of which was 45 minutes earlier when we were entering the gym. So he stared off in his back seat while Oona sang a song she made up, she's always making up songs.

I love you Mom
I love you Mom
You're my best friend
I love you Mom


I turned around to thank her for singing such a sweet song to me and then she started to sing You Are My Sunshine but put Mommy in for Sunshine. I told her I was going to cry that was such a sweet thing of her to do and then I had to explain what I meant because she couldn't get how I'd be happy and want to cry. Once we got to karate she did act up a bit; little fits, trying to get things out of my purse, she caught my neck zipping up my jacket, it's hard not to act upsitting for 45 minutes while her brother practices. But after her bath I read her a story and snuggle bunny (our term for cuddling) with her for a few minutes, and she falls asleep within five minutes. I know I can't get my hopes up too high, she's yet to hit her teen years but she's so so nice to be with right now. I'm just enjoying this sweet stage she's in.

2 comments:

Elise A. Miller said...

ah. good behavior. like a long swallow of cold water after a walk in the scorching desert. I feel your bliss sister.

sew nancy said...

yes!!!! this is exactly what i want to read about age 4. matty turned 4 yesterday and i really can't take 3 anymore.
oh wait i have a one year old. well, let's hope she is different. so far so good with that one.
adorable photo of oona. such a pretty girl