Thursday, June 04, 2009

So, a couple days ago Oona's preschool took a field trip to the local grocery store, which is about three blocks away from the school. Her teacher was telling me what a great field trip it was and how much fun all the kids had. That they were given so much food, baloney from the deli counter and a reusable bag filled with treats. Oona tore right into a bag of potato chips and opened up a Big Juicy orange drink which says that it's naturally flavored but has only 20 calories for 16 ounces and under no part of the ingredient list is orange mentioned, but high fructose corn syrup, sucralose, yellow 6 & yellow 5 are. No biggie, though. I mean I don't like Oona to fill up on crap but it was one drink, one day from her field trip. But then Oona got a can of pop (that's what they call it out here) out of her bag. Now I have made many transgressions as a mom. I've started to slide and let the kids get sprite or root beer to drink when we go to McDonalds instead of healthier beverages like milk or juice. BUT the pop was a can of Mountain Dew, which back in the day was what college kids used to pep themselves up before Red Bull, Full Throttle and the like. I had to put my foot down when it came to Oona having Mountain Dew. It would be like Hammy the squirrel in Over the Hedge when he finally drinks a can of caffeinated soda (a tip off to native Pittsburghers that I'm not a native).

2 comments:

kristi said...

i hear ya! lately, every time we are out somewhere and i let the kids get a "coke" (which, being from the south, i learned to call everything that was carbonated, including pepsi...), aedan wants a mountain dew. he asks for it specifically. i have no idea if he's had one, or how he knows to ask for it. but somehow he intuitively knows if he drinks it he, too, will turn into hammy...he's already mostly like him anyway!

sew nancy said...

I've been coming back to this post and it just infuriates me so much that Oona's school would give them soda. I don't want to come off crazy or anything but she is so little still. I would have had workds with the school