Wednesday, December 05, 2007

ode to a nap

I am mourning the loss of Oona's nap time. Yesterday was a blissful day where I put her down without incident and she slept for close to three hours. But that was Tuesday, today is a different story. She always sleeps for the sitter, I've joked about needing the sitter 7 days a week in order to get Oona to nap, but I came home fifteen minutes early today and the sitter said she cried before going to bed, which she never does for her the babywhisperer of napping. I guess I shouldn't have gotten home early because five minutes after being back she started crying mommy, she's like a blood hound can she smell my presence?I tried to let her cry it out but that didn't work so now she's downstairs with me prancing around the living room in her pj straightjacket singing and clapping to a Little Einsteins video. I cut off the feet from a pair of her footie pyjamas in the hopes that it would prevent her from stripping every time I put her down for a nap, twice she pooped on the bed after these strippings. It worked but she has napped maybe 5 days in the past three weeks, so I think my ingenuity was too little too late. I wish I could reason with her about this whole giving up the nap thing because she clearly isn't ready for it. When I put her in the car for the five minute drive to Owen's school she falls asleep two minutes into the ride. If I drive anywhere in the afternoon this is what she does and what can you do with the time then, assist global warming by idling your car while you try to find a way to capitalize on that free time? It's rare that my kids wake up during the night though so I guess I should count my blessings, all in all they're pretty good sleepers.

No comments: