Sunday, July 22, 2007

harry potter and the order of the phoenix

Only two more books to go… now if I can just sequester myself away from all media for the next two or three weeks I should be able to get through both books without happening upon any spoilers. I have been reading the bulk of these books at the gym. The elliptical machine and treadmill both have a very good magazine/book rests that have worked for the hardcover books – reading my paperback Goblet of Fire while exercising was quite a feat of human engineering. Okay, so I will admit that a few people at the gym look at me weirdly for being so engrossed in a book while sweating and pumping away. But let me tell you it makes going to the gym so much more enjoyable than flipping through some soul sucking fashion or tabloid rag and the time passes much quicker than when I listen to music or watch the crap on the tv, so I figure it’s all good. These books are so much fun to read! Now I have to go out and see this movie, which has gotten great reviews. How could it not, all of Britain’s acting royalty seems to be in these movies. Oh, how I love Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman and David Thewlis. Ralph Fiennes too, but he’s even harder to appreciate in the Voldemort makeup. Toby was teasing me asking if I was going to the midnight party at Barnes & Noble for the Deathly Hallows book. I couldn’t really drag Owen to that, even though he loves all the Harry Potter movies, he’s not quite 5 yet. And wouldn’t it be sad if I was more enthusiastic than him, all giddy for the last book while he’s busy rubbing sleep out of his eyes and yawning, pulling on my hand, begging me to take him home. But seriously, I didn’t want to go to those book parties. It would be great if I was a kid, but since I’m not it’s best to stay home, finish the Half-Blood Prince and read the last book before the ending is all over the news.

No comments: