Thursday, July 19, 2007

harry potter and the goblet of fire

Can I tell you how badly I wish that I was a British teenage witch going to Hogwarts?! Oh or just to be a teen or tween muggle right now, all these libraries and bookstores are having midnight parties for the final book in the Harry Potter series on Friday. How cool is it to garner that much enthusiasm from young kids for reading. These books are so well done, I can't wait for Owen and Oona to be old enough to read them. The great thing Rowling does is let the characters mature throughout the series and go through all the teenage angst that is so confusing, especially if you're a powerful wizard and have Lord Voldemort on your tail. I'm half way through the next in the series and am just regretting that I didn't start reading these sooner because I don't want to find out the ending of the series until I read it, which will probably be close to impossible with all the publicity Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is generating. I was finishing Goblet of Fire when I took Owen to karate last week and the teacher was like 'you should put a book cover of 'War and Peace' on that so you're not embarrassed to be reading it in public.' I'm not embarrassed, they're a lot better than some of the current adult fiction out there. Apparently though in England they put out Potter editions with adult covers, it's all so silly. A good book is a good book regardless of the niche they categorize it as for where to place it in the bookstore.

1 comment:

Elise A. Miller said...

I remember riding the subway in my last life back in '03 and every other adult with a novel in their hands had Harry Potter. I kid you not! peace love and magic wands...