Tuesday, January 19, 2010

on vanity

Today I had to go the hospital to have blood drawn, pee for drug testing and get my photo id taken before school starts. Now I have taken many a bad photo in my lifetime but the photo id I got today was a new low. To be fair to myself. I was standing against a white wall while the woman put a camera within a foot of my face, then took a picture without letting me know she was about to take it and headed right over to the computer to put my pertinent information in and spit out the photo id card, all without letting me look at the picture or her even seeming to look at it. I mean even at the DMV they let you look at the photo and retake it if you'd like, and yes I consistently need it to be retaken. I don't understand how a picture could manage to simultaneously age me 10 years, shave 40 points off my IQ and give me a substance abuse problem (I must have been about to close my eyes which made me look like a meth addict). I was puffy yet haggard, blotchy yet pale, sullen yet scared, the horrible list of dichotomies could go on. It made me wonder if the woman at human resources had a talent for taking a portrait that truly revealed the depths of just how physically unattractive a person could be. I have a hard time posing for pictures at all. I am incredibly self conscious which causes the muscles in my face to suddenly feel funny and unnatural. I have a friend who collects my bad photos, delighting in laughing at them and given her beauty, well, let's just say it does nothing to boost my confidence about my looks. But today's picture was bad enough to make me cry in the parking lot and question whether I truly saw myself physically the way other people did. Realistically, I know I'm not a great beauty but I'd like to think I'm at least halfway decent and I guess getting older can make those bad photos sting all the more. I drove out to Ikea to get some curtains and picture frames and get my mind off the id but I kept taking it to look at, it was like picking at a scab. How could I go through a year and a half of school with this photo clipped to my uniform? I would die a little death every time I looked at it, it was honestly that bad. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would be a 2. I kept thinking, well, I can go back when I have my arm checked for the TB results and then maybe I can have another photo taken but the more I thought about it the worse I felt waiting three days before resolving this photo id issue. So I drove back over straight from Ikea hoping I'd get a different woman from HR but no such luck it was the same woman. I sucked it up said I'd just been there earlier to get my id taken and was there any chance I could please get retaken because I looked like a drug addict. I even offered to pay for a replacement because I'd noticed the sign earlier mentioning the replacing photo ids was $10. She looked up at me and smiled a smile that was not happy at all, I've been receiving a lot of those lately, but she got up and took me back to the room for a redo. This time she mentioned that my head was tilted to the side and she asked me if I wanted to smile (while smiling at me through clenched teeth) which I did. And then she let me look at the photo before heading over to the computer. There was no hiding my baby fine hair or, um, prominent nose but it didn't matter, I looked reasonably intelligent, my smile looked genuine, I'd gone up to a 5 out of a 10. It was infinitely better than the drug addict photo. I looked like I should be working at a hospital and not be incarcerated. I thanked her for doing that for me and tried to explain that I wanted to start school on the right foot to which she gave me the forced smile and said nothing. Why is it when I think of HR departments I think of the secretary from Brazil? Well, nothing like an ego leveling bad picture to humble a person.

6 comments:

BabelBabe said...

you are more than halfway decent. you're cute, you dress nicely, and you have a lovely smile that lights up your face. while i will admit that sometimes I wonder if you get enough sleep : ) I am sure other people wonder when *I* am going to lose 15 pounds...we all have our issues. you're nice looking, don't stress so much! I am not photogenic, so I understand your distress however.

sew nancy said...

sounds like it was just what it was - a bad photo. taken at the wrong time even the most adorable baby can look like a freak

i'm glad you got a new photo because those small little things make you feel 100% better

Amelia Plum said...

i know this seems like a self serving post fishing for compliments and, given what's going on in the world, it's extremely superficial. but i'm telling you if you saw this picture, friends who have seen my many bad pictures can attest to this. i'd get embarrassed or laugh at how bad pictures were but nothing has brought me to tears before. nothing has been that horrific.

Anonymous said...

Oh...Kimbo! You know we love you! I'm so glad you got a new ID...and I'm sorry that the first one made you so upset. I have seen many BEAUTIFUL photos of you. The ID camera is not your friend though. (really...who takes a great photo at the DMV anyway!--I will have to e-mail you Rebecca's military ID) I think, all of us, after we celebrate a certain birthday, are slaves to "good lighting," and lipstick!
oxoxoxo
Christina

Elise A. Miller said...

I was puffy yet haggard, blotchy yet pale, sullen yet scared... sounds like a hit song. Alanis Morrisette has nothing over you. I say you are woman hear you roar with going back to get the ID redone. So much of this is about empowering ourselves when we feel like we have no right to stand up for something we believe in because we're scared the other person will dismiss what's important to us. Or maybe I'm just talking about myself??? AND, You have luminous skin, big clear light eyes, those full lips, great choppers, you're totaly cute and not at all delusional about your looks. I too make weird muscular overatures when I know my picture is being snapped. it's my muscles begging to look red-carpet hot. It never works, go figure.

kristi said...

i agree with elise. i think we have been told we are being whiny or stupid or obsessive if we go back and deal with things like this, and you weren't at all. so i'm proud of you for having the courage to go back and get it retaken too! and i hate pictures of myself lately too. how sad is it that in the rare event my husband takes a picture of me with the kids when we are out somewhere, when i go through the photos afterward i delete them all because i think i look too fat, too wrinkly, too blotchy, too old. but stemming from elise's blog and then reading other things lately along the same lines, i am vowing to try to love myself more and try to see myself the way other people do. xo