Monday, January 04, 2010

I am so so glad December is over. The whole time from Thanksgiving through New Year's I find more than a little stressful and this year it was compounded with the roller coaster of grandma seeming to be at death's door and rallying yet again (I can't emphasize how stressful the year and a half roller coaster with her about to die and then miraculous recovery is) and all the home improvements during the holidays and the first big holiday being separated. Ugh. I am so so glad it's all over. My new year started off with a bang, literally. I was doing last minute cleaning around the house once the kids went to bed new year's day. I decided I could bring the rolled up 8 x 10 wool carpet down from my bedroom to the living room. It is heavy as all get out but I figured I could manage if I dragged it. At the top of the stairs I started it off, thinking it would sort of go a few feet and then I'd have to nudge it along, because it was heavy but very floppy. Well, that rug took off like a runaway train, poor Sam was at the bottom of the stairs and I think I would have a dead cat on my hands if he hadn't bolted out of the way at the last minute. The runaway train rug crashed spectacularly into the table I spent a LONG time distressing over the summer and broke the leg right off of it. Then the large hexagonal mirror resting on the distressed table, which I also spent a LONG time distressing, flew up in the air and crashed into many shards. Nothing like starting the decade off right by breaking a large mirror, not very auspicious. This whole incident was so dramatic and so loud, I was sure the kids would wake up but, no, they slept right through it. So that foolishness, thumbing my nose at physics, added another half hour to my cleaning by picking mirror shards off the floor. I made the same resolution I've been making for the past twenty years (to eat healthier) and I never make it through new year's day without breaking it (I ate caramel popcorn, donuts, hot chocolate and coke new year's day and I am not an elf!). The upside, if there is one, to the stress filled December is that it had some massive metabolism boosting effect and I lost any weight that I had gained in the past year. Here's hoping January is easier but the teenage boy metabolism stays.

3 comments:

kristi said...

oh! how sad about the dresser! it's beautiful, even with a broken leg and mirror. and hooray for the teen boy metabolism. severe stress is the only way i have ever lost a ton of weight. i keep thinking maybe i could replicate the stress without really being stressed? :)

happy new year, friend! xo

Elise A. Miller said...

way to look on the bright side of stress. and I'll bet all that sweeping up and gluing and dragging burned at least a cup of caramel corn. love and splinters!

sew nancy said...

i keep thinking of you trying to carry the rug downstairs and see it flying down and crashing.
i am due for some good fortune as well after having spent 11 day knitting a shawl with sock yarn all wrong and now need to start all over.