Thursday, March 19, 2009

I think every parent has these moments where you find yourself saying something to your child and think, wow, never thought those words would come out of my mouth. Stuff like 'don't poke your sister with the unicorn', 'bend over so I can wipe your butt' or 'get the fire truck out of your mouth'. I swear Owen chews on so many things, I think he's part beaver. It's not too farfetched to see myself at his high school graduation admonishing him for having the tassel from his cap in his mouth. A couple nights ago Owen stayed up waaay past his bed time reading two Magic Treehouse books at the same time, I'd think that would be incredibly confusing but it doesn't seem to faze him. Toby came home late from a business dinner and went upstair to kiss the kids. Owen was still up reading by the glow of his ikea torch lamp after 10 and Toby chided 'Owen you've got to stop reading and get to bed.' and I'm like, 'bet you never thought you'd say that in your life.' I mean we're both bibliophiles so how can we scold Owen for staying up late reading, I mean I know kids need to sleep too but it's awesome to see him enjoying reading so much. Here he is not eating his breakfast because he's so engrossed in Sunset of the Sabertooth.

4 comments:

BabelBabe said...

he and Si are kindred souls. I have had the same experience, telling him to stop reading to...whatever. It physically hurts me when I say that : )

Elise A. Miller said...

I'm living for that moment!!! way to go on the bookish parenting!!!

kristi said...

ok, this post convicted me, because i have been threatening lately to remove all the bookcases in the bedroom because our kids just won't stop reading. i will go in at night, 2 hours after bedtime (which is 7 around here), and see my daughter, with invisible toothpicks propping her eyeballs open, just fighting to stay awake so she can read "one more page."

AND she definitely does the "read 6 books at once" thing too. i am paranoid she is screwing up her comprehension skills.

oh, and the "everything in your mouth" thing? you just described our soon-to-be-6 year old. it was comforting to read that we aren't the only ones with this issue!

jennypah said...

My mother used to tell me to go to bed and went (only once) so far as to take away the book. Then I was scared to bits with the possibility of causing a fire when she found me under my covers with my lamp reading at 2am. I am almost 28 years old and still keep those invisible toothpicks around and now my husband has to tell me to go to bed because I have to get up for a gig that pays me (it's finally not school).

Remembering that unlike television (before the invention of Tivo and DVR) books "pause" when I close them has really helped.